Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some things matter. Some don't. This does.

Options
13»

Comments

• ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    Many thanks to him and all service mem and women. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Travis, this is great that you can spend quality time with your Grandfather and even more so on June 6th. I personally want you to thank him for his service for all of us!!! I also want to thank you and all the veterans that have helped secure our freedom we all enjoy today as well!! 
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    I bet he has a ton of incredible stories! You should record them to pass down to the family. They just don't make 'em like they used to!
    Opelika, AL
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Freedom isn't free. I hope no one ever forgets what happened 69 years ago today. Please say thanks from my grateful family.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    This was truly a great generation. My late FIL was a Marine, he was captured on Corregidor and spent 3 years in a Japanese prison camp. It was there that he got to hold his younger brother in his arms as he died. Give your Grandpa a big hug for me.
    I fought in Baghdad with my little brother. I couldn't sleep if he was out doing work. (I could hear the sounds of work being done) The thought of losing a brother in a pow camp is just too much to process. I'll never forget your short story of your FIL.

The amazing part was neither one of them new the other was in the same camp. His younger brother was on the Bataan Death March and survived and then was put in the pow camp.They ran into each other about a week before he died and got to see each other one last time.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Aggie96_Egger
    Options
    Please tell him thank you. Enjoy your time with him.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I went to bed early and was watching a Canadian series called Bloody Normandy. Brought me to tears. 150 Canadian soldiers captured by the Huns and executed in many different locations. No one was ever brought to trial.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    Travis, thank him for me. We truly owe that generation and the men and women of WW II a debt that can never be repaid. Great story with incredible achievements!
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Thank you to your grandfather.  Tonight I finished reading UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand.  The story about Louie Zamperini who was an Olympian and bombadier who was shot down in the South Pacific.  Parts are very difficult to read but has given me a new respect for these men.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)