Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekly pizza post

SaturdayFatterday
SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
We made the BBQ pork again (making two butts gives you leftovers FOREVER - love it), and took a shot at a white pie:  brushed the crust with roasted garlic, oil, oregano, thyme, and basil, and topped with mozzarella, tomato, and feta.

Here's the garlic sauce:

and the BBQ sauce:

Tomatoes and fresh thyme:

The white pie, ready to go on the Egg:

Closer shot of the delicious garlic-ness:

The BBQ pork and cilantro:

The finished white pie:

and the finished BBQ pork:

Pizza on the Egg is so addictive.  I think we'll start experimenting with other crusts and techniques, next.  We like the pillowy kind we're using now, but I'm jonesin' for some Chicago-style cornmeal deep-dish...

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Looks great!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Really fantastic pizza! That white pie looks like perfection.
  • @Federalist226 - thanks!  Gotta give credit to my wife for her perfect garlic sauce.  

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Looks fantastic!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Wow, they both look great! Sheesh, its only morning and I'm craving BGE pizza again. :)
  • SaturdayFatterday
    edited June 2013
    @EggPower: Thanks!  And what do you think I had for breakfast?   :P

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Awesome man!  BBQ pork and cilantro sounds like a great combination.  They both look outstanding.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SaturdayFatterday
    edited June 2013
    @SmokeyPitt:  thanks!  A little heat in the BBQ sauce and some sharp white cheddar go nicely with it, too, I've found.

• dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Those look absolutely incredible.  What's your dough recipe? (sorry if you've been asked this before)

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Looking good.  Those are some delicious, perfect looking pies!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SaturdayFatterday
    edited June 2013

• Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Very nice looking pizzas. Well done!!!!
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    SaturdayFatterday Thanks!  I've got so many pizza dough recipes to try.  May I also ask you what your time/temp was?

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Thanks must try that sauce
    Seattle, WA
  • SaturdayFatterday
    edited June 2013
    @dpittard:  We tend to stablize at 400, then add the stone, then kick out the jams.  I've seen it get past 800 before.  The pizzas cook in a matter of minutes, and we put 'em high enough (PS legs up, tri-level rack, stone) that you can keep an eye on them through the top vent (without putting your face over it).  Not sure how high we got the temp this time, as the diameter was a little wider than usual, so the dome thermo was touching the crust and I had to remove it.

@SkinnyV:  the sauce is basically 2/3 St. Louis rib sauce, 1/3 Memphis BBQ, with hot sauce of your choosing, to taste.  Alternatively, I've just thrown whatever sauces I'm almost out of together over low heat and stirred it for a few minutes.

EDIT:  you probably mean the garlic sauce.  I'll ask my wife and post later.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Very nice pies! What was the diameter? I made a couple the other night that were a bit big and got a bit of blackening on the crust edges. I kind of like that when I do a hot cook but thinking I need to pay more attention to it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @LS:  Thanks!  Diameter looked to be a little over 13" - almost as big as the stone - where we usually have 'em at about 12".  The crust darkens faster on the back, so I rotate the pies mid-cook (the levels on the 3-tier spin well).

• Little Steven
    Thanks. I do mine on the top of the AR and turn as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SaturdayFatterday, those pies look wonderful!! I especially like the look of the pork pie! NVa, huh? Virginia is home for me. In CT now, but Mom's in Fredericksburg and my bro is in Alexandria.

I see you're interested in a Chicago deep dish. I've done a few, but originally was just using a NY style dough in a CI skillet. Couple of weeks ago, I decided to see if that was "authentic". I've never had a real Chicago pie and had no idea. Turns out it's as far from authentic as you can get! 

I did a little digging and came across a recipe that I've used a couple of times recently and it is outstanding. I am told by a couple of Chicago pizza nuts who have tried it that it looks and tastes like the real thing (Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, etc.) so I'm happy. Apparently, they don't use any cornmeal in authentic Chicago Deep Dish crust. Corn OIL, yes. Corn meal, no.

If you are interested, one of these pies takes about 2 hours - from a bag of AP flour to sitting down to enjoy. Mix ingredients with a spoon, knead by hand for 2 minutes max, let rise for an hour or so and build the pie. That's it! I used a 9" cake pan. If you are interested, the recipe is here... http://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail.pdf ... and it is awesome! Next time, I will use the 10" dough recipe as his 9" doesn't quite make enough dough for a 9" pan. 450° with stone raised about 4" above the legs down platesetter. About 37 minutes.

Will try posting a pic. If it doesn't work, if someone will tell me how I'll try again. I don't get over here much, but am going through withdrawal! Haha! Anyway, here it is... I hope.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    My dogs wouldn't touch that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Man, I wouldn't even give YOU a slice! Too thick for you anyway. You'd need to stand on a phone book. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• @CarolinaQ:  Thanks!  Man, that deep dish pie looks great, no matter what @LS's dogs think.  I'm totally using that recipe - thanks!  Lou's or Gino's East is exactly what I want to go for in terms of my prototypical Chicago pie (and that's really interesting that it's corn oil, not cornmeal, in the crust).  I'll have to grab some corn oil from the store when I go on my beer run in a few minutes.

We're in the Springfield/Burke area here in NoVA.  Always nice to talk to people from the area, expats included.

• Carolina Q
    SaturdayFatterday, you're welcome! If you go to the main site, http://www.realdeepdish.com , there's a bunch more, including a vid on making the dough. It really is as simple as it looks in the vid. He has a few rants too :) including one on cornmeal. I had to go buy corn oil too. :)

If you want to read a few comments from the Chicagoans, go over to the Slice site where I submitted the pics and scroll down to the comments. Also, click on the slideshows to see all the pies submitted. cpd007 and fredipusRex are both from Chicago and offer some insight into authenticity, butter flavor, garlic sausage, etc. A good read if you're interested. Haven't tried the garlic sausage yet, but I will next time.

I've done two of these and submitted both to Slice. Here's the first...

And the second (the pic I posted above)

Lots of good ideas and how-to's over there. I am BGEPizza on slice. Carolina Q just didn't seem appropriate. :)

Oh, and I never pay any attention to LS anyway. Hahaha

Good luck with the pie!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    You pay attention....you just forget you did cause you are older than dirt? I might start to like you if you made that haggis pie

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Bud, haggis is NOT gonna happen!! I said there were some good ideas over there. I didn't say they were ALL good ideas! In any case, after a crack like that, why would I care if you like me? Hahaha!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Just my way of welcoming you to this board. Things are a little less formal here. Just wanted folks to know you're alright.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    All in good fun, my friend.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Thanks for sharing! Looks awesome! Now I don't feel so bad about making/eating pizza so often :). Definitely try some new crusts and cheese too. I like to buy the mozzarella balls from Costco or trader joes and dice it up (might try food processor next time) I stay away from the mozzarella balls in water though, because they seem to add too much liquid to the pizza. Keep em coming !
  • @Jamieoro:  Thanks!  Just FYI:  After our first margherita, when there was definitely excess mozzarella liquid from the water-packed kind, we started halving the balls, wrapping them in paper towels, lightly pressing them with our hands, and then letting them air-dry.  That gave us nice pearls without the liquid on top.

Still haven't seen any "00" flour in the area, but I'm heading to Wegmans tomorrow (baby permitting), so I'll check there.

• @SkinnyV (and anyone else interested):  here's what was in the garlic sauce:

A head of garlic, roasted, "squeezed" from the skin, and fork-mashed
    Roughly 2 Tbsp. olive oil (NOT extra virgin)
    2 sprigs oregano leaves, chopped
    2 large basil leaves, chopped
    2 sprigs thyme leaves, chopped
    Pepper to taste

You can add a little salt, either to the garlic when you roast it or to the sauce when you mix it, but since we already had feta on the pizza, we didn't use much.