Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Early Father's Day gift

So some know I own a large and recently built a table for it. Come home today and there is a mini sitting on the kitchen table. Didn't have much planned or ready for dinner so just did sausage and asparagus. Couple things: 1) no ceramic top. Is that normal? Kinda sucks. 2) heats up much faster than large. I'd say 1/3 of time to get to stable 350 degrees. 3) excuse to build a bigger table! any other tips for a new mini owner? [IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r563/afloyd2/e3ef64cea05e4d665e729c74a16dfd74.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r563/afloyd2/f3bc062e00c477be5cc912a4650d1803.jpg[/IMG]
Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Oh and it also doesn't sit perfect in stand. Normal? And bolts feel tight but washers have play? Normal?
    Boom
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    No answers since I don't have a mini but that's a great gift!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks like the old style nest.  Rumor has it that the mini could expand when hot and be cracked from the pressure of the nest.  Mickey has a fix and knows more about the problem.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Fan, congrats on the newborn. Where did you get it?? @Village_Idiot is right, apparently the old nest has caused issues. I am trying to build a table soon to house my large and mini in an egg carten. I will give you my nest for free once I have that -- it is the new model
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs

Oh, and get the mini woo from CGS, two pack of stones from Amazon. That is all you need to do any cook really. I did buy the CI griddle yesterday though. Going to make some breakfast on it while at the beach next week.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Dealer owes you a ceramic top. Ask for it. With that type stand you need to use some felt ( in three places) held in place with a high temp tape. Email me as I think I still have some of the tape around. mjrawls@me.com Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited June 2013
    I would (while new) ask dealer to trade out that old style nest for the new one. He can sell that one to someone who doesn't care. I replaced mine when the new one came out.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Add a high-que to order list of @Chubbs.

• FanOfFanboys
    Chubbs said:

@Fan, congrats on the newborn. Where did you get it?? @Village_Idiot is right, apparently the old nest has caused issues. I am trying to build a table soon to house my large and mini in an egg carten. I will give you my nest for free once I have that -- it is the new model

I wanted to buy from Jack Oliver but it was a surprise so I didn't have a say. The wife bought from Ace in Cayce. Same place I got my large from. I think I'll either modify my current table or build another (anyone want to buy a table for a large?!?) to accomadate the mini so it won't even be in a nest.

I def need to get some of those accessories. Want to be able to smoke and cook raised direct.
    Boom
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Congrats! Thats an awesome gift.

About the nest, what about wrapping gasket around those points, or even cutting the ring of the nest at one point to allow for expansion. Kind how the fire ring is notched. I doubt the nest would be adversely affected if you did that.

Otherwise, I'll take it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FanOfFanboys
    @mickey I will def get on the dealer about my top. They explicitly told my wife they no longer carried them. Hopefully just a ignorant employee and not going to be a bigger issue outside that.

I appreciate offer on tape. I think I'm going to cut hole in table or build a 2nd table and have it sit in there.
    Boom
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Congratulations! Love the mini and agree on all the eggcessories.

Only thing I didn't get yet is the wok.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• caliking
    I got a cap with my mini a few weeks ago.

• Mickey
    All Minis come with both caps.

• FanOfFanboys
    So I am a little annoyed now. I emailed Duane at BGE to ask about the top (I believed you guys, just wanted official response to take to the dealer.) Love my wife but she paid $440 for that mini. Old style hinges, no ceramic top, old style gasket, and style stand. I think she got ripped off. And I used the mini last night so I don't think can even return it. Any suggestions?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    To clarify it was $408 before tax, $436 after tax. And Duane said their was a $80 price increase for new style. So I am thinking they charged her price of new style for old style. Am I right? If so they owe use $80 and a ceramic top.
    Boom
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I would just call the dealer and explain to him the issue.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Mickey
    Before you order the Mini Woo check the size of yours first. Got to be sure if it will fit.

• FanOfFanboys
    So Duane told me that style mini retails for $299. And that it should have come with ceramic top. Told me to call dealer and if they couldn't resolve then would get distributor involved. I called and spoke to manager. He seemed real nice and said he promises will make right. He said he is going to email his rep and will call me tomorrow morning. So will wait and see.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    So dealer just called me. Told me he found a ceramic cap so that's good. But he says he called his distributor that he was told there has been no recent changes update to the mini minus small tweak to hinge, there has been no recent price changes, and that $400 is and has been price for the mini.
    Boom
  • Chubbs
    So dealer just called me. Told me he found a ceramic cap so that's good. But he says he called his distributor that he was told there has been no recent changes update to the mini minus small tweak to hinge, there has been no recent price changes, and that $400 is and has been price for the mini.

Man, have you cooked on it?? I would take it back. Cayce is full of $hit which is why I got us the deal set up at JO on Forest. Cayce Ace was supposed to order me a new 13"CI grate for the one I broke and they told me it would be a few months. That was 6 months ago never a word. JO's has us setup in their system with an automatic discount of 15-18% off and their customer service is top notch.
  • Chubbs

Oh, and "recent" is where he is confused. The changes were made months ago.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Chubbs said:

Man, have you cooked on it?? I would take it back. Cayce is full of $hit which is why I got us the deal set up at JO on Forest. Cayce Ace was supposed to order me a new 13"CI grate for the one I broke and they told me it would be a few months. That was 6 months ago never a word. JO's has us setup in their system with an automatic discount of 15-18% off and their customer service is top notch.

I know. Unfortunately I cooked on it night I got. I didn't realize what she paid for it and the other stuff. Otherwise I would. And bc it was a surprise I couldn't tell her about JO. She was just trying to do something nice. She knows now though and going forward only dealing with JO.
    Boom
  • Chubbs
    Still a hell of a gift! You are going to enjoy that thing. I am interested to see what you come up with in terms of new table..
  • FanOfFanboys
    And BGE HQ told me they'll replace the nest and gasket. Dealer found the cap. The biggest thing now is paid $80-100 more for the old egg. I don't even care about the old hinge but I would like to not have paid for something I didn't get.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Chubbs said:

Still a hell of a gift! You are going to enjoy that thing. I am interested to see what you come up with in terms of new table..

Very happy with gift. Wife is great
    For table torn between a long table or L shaped table
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    So he offered me a table for the mini, retail of like $125. If I wasn't making own table I would take. Thinking about asking for a plate setter for mini and maybe pizza stone for large? I think retail of those two are less than that of table. Sound fair?
    Boom
  • caliking
    FWIW, that sounds like he's trying to do the right thing. He knows that it would take you about 5 mins (either on here or calling the mothership) to figure out that he's FOS.