Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting a 2nd Egg.

I have had a Large BGE for 6 or 7 years and love it. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd for when I'm cooking for more people or to have sides going as the meat is cooking etc. I'm not sure that I need another large but was looking at a Medium or Small. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I think the large / small combo is great. I got a eggcarten to help travel with it and take it over to friends houses almost weekly. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    caliking said:
    if you want to travel with your egg, then definitely consider a small. Otherwise my vote is for another large, so you can share eggcessories.

Going through this same debate right now and points above are very good, I would like mobility but have so many accessories I could see a second large as a great investment too, in my case it might just be finding a great deal
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I have a large and a mini. They make a great combo. The mini gets used a lot more than my large cooking for 2 of us. Also great for doing sides. Still use the large a couple of times a month.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • I was wondering the something . I have a large and thinking of another large because I already have all the accessories for a large.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited June 2013
    I went through this in December. I originally thought my second Egg would be a Small. But I started pricing a Small and the Eggcessories I'd need and the Large with just a second plate setter. The Large was actually cheaper. I have zero need for portability and liked the idea of the extra area. 

I ended up getting the second Large & once I got it, another advantage became apparent: zero learning curve, zero thinking. There is no difference using them, I was up an running instantly. I don't need to adjust times or think about which one I am using. When I am doing a big cook having one less thing to think about is a bonus. Now I leave one set up for direct grilling and the other for indirect, so my start up prep can be faster too.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • I had a need for portability--from taking tailgating, to taking to an eggfest for extra cooking space, to a friends house, to a store for a demo cook, etc.  So, my second egg was a small.  I just bought the ceramic grill store accesories that match what  I have for the large.  Again, portability was a defining factor in my decision on 2nd egg size. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I got a medium for my second Egg in December as a gift from my mother-in-law. Love it and it has become my main at home egg for use cooking for a family of 4. However after I got that one, I purchased a small to be my portable Egg in March. The small goes over to my buddies house for parties (he has a Large already, but surprisingly has another kid on the way so no second Egg for him). I will take the small to the Ozarks next month for a week on the lake with the family.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hilton
    Hilton Posts: 41
    Thanks for the comments. Great idea about sharing the accessories between two larges. I did a little looking/calling around today and the price difference between the medium/large is pretty small. Around 200. I don't need the portability at all so it may make more sense to just get another large. Thanks for the tips and helping me think through this!

DL
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have a large and i have been cooking my sides along with the main course with little problem.  Just have to judge when to put each side on, to finish everything at the same time.  For you that have bought multiple eggs, is there that much of a savings to cook on a smaller egg?  My average cost per cook on a large is about two bucks on the lump.  I am trying to justify the cost of a second egg???  Thanks
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    edited June 2013
    I have a large and i have been cooking my sides along with the main course with little problem.  Just have to judge when to put each side on, to finish everything at the same time.  For you that have bought multiple eggs, is there that much of a savings to cook on a smaller egg?  My average cost per cook on a large is about two bucks on the lump.  I am trying to justify the cost of a second egg???  Thanks
    If your average cost per cook on a large is about two bucks on the lump it mussed be about .25 cents on a Mini LOL :))

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Hilton said:
    Thanks for the comments. Great idea about sharing the accessories between two larges. I did a little looking/calling around today and the price difference between the medium/large is pretty small. Around 200. I don't need the portability at all so it may make more sense to just get another large. Thanks for the tips and helping me think through this!

DL
    I may be wrong in my thinking, but i don't see the point in getting a medium. My understanding is that eggcessories for that size are limited, especially from places like CGS or CGW. I think getting a second large in your case would be your best option. Another way to look at it is that you would likely spend more cash to get eggcessories for the medium, and then that $200 difference becomes even smaller. 

Just my $0.02.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I just ordered my second large on Saturday because of having all the eggcessories for my large.  Like the convenience of having long cook going on one and doing sides without having to time food on one egg.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    If your average cost per cook on a large is about two bucks on the lump it mussed be about .25 cents on a Mini LOL :))

So your saying the average cook on a mini is twenty five cents in lump??