Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peanut Butter Pulled Pork

Options
JDBoulder
JDBoulder Posts: 7

Okay, this morning while prepping to cook a 7 pounder, I was thinking about what it would be like to slather peanut butter all over it and then add my rub.

Has anyone tried this before?

If so, what did you think?

I would hate to do it for my crowd of 13 and turned out to be terrible.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Oh gracious. We are cooking some funky butts this weekend!!

Good luck! Don't know how this is gonna be

XLBGE 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Generally the slather is used to hold the rub on, and evaporate while cooking. 
    I don't think PB evaporates, but I think it will make a different type of bark. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    A light coat definitely would help to hold the rub.  I would think almond butter would be more oily and less nutty.  
    Agree wouldn't try something new for visitors.  
    Grapeseed oil is probably the best, as it has no flavor and high smoke point.  It holds the rub and enhances savory flavors in the rub.  
    good luck.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    But if they're in-laws... :))

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Does peanut butter play nice with a rub like Dizzy Dust? You got me thinking mad scientist thoughts.
    Flint, Michigan
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options
    Think the peanut butter would begin to melt off and make a huge mess. All you can do i try. Report back and let us know how it goings.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    GQuiz said:

But if they're in-laws... :))

Haha I was about to agree to someone's "don't experiment with quest" and then I realized I'm experimenting this weekend, and it's my in laws!

XLBGE 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    I wouldn't do it.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is an interesting concept idea.  I have seen peanut butter used in Thai recipes so I guess it is not unheard of to mix peanut butter with meat. 

I agree though I wouldn't experiment for guests.  You could always cook 2 butts and experiment with one.  I would imagine that the peanut butter might melt and much of it would slide off.  

My neighbor covered a butt with honey and byrons butt rub and it turned out excellent. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JDBoulder
    JDBoulder Posts: 7
    Options

I think I will hold off on experimenting this weekend since it is for my son's 1st birthday party.

I think I will try a thai still pulled pork next time.

Maybe do a dry cilantro, chili, salt, sugar rub over the peanut butter and serve with lime and fresh cilantro??

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    JDBoulder said:

I think I will hold off on experimenting this weekend since it is for my son's 1st birthday party.

I think I will try a thai still pulled pork next time.

Maybe do a dry cilantro, chili, salt, sugar rub over the peanut butter and serve with lime and fresh cilantro??

Sounds pretty good to me.  Actually found some recipes when googled "thai pork peanut butter"

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Sorry,but that just sounds nasty!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Just don't use chunky p/b. It would look like a big turd.   :-O

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Peanut butter liquifies when heated.  Put some in the microwave.  Then stir in some chocolate chips when you take it out. 

I suspect once it heated up, it'd melt away and take your rub with it...and make a real mess of your egg / plate setter / etc.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Peanut butter on a burger? Heck yes! On a pork shoulder? Could conceivably smoke like mad and impart a bad flavor.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I've had goat ribs with a peanut butter based sauce on them but the peanut butter was put on after the ribs were cooked like we baste pork ribs with.  It was tasty.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Pork and peanut go great together, if they don't I'm in a load of trouble Saturday, but not sure how the peanut butter would fare on the surface. You would have to watch what was in your rub too. Asian style pulled pork and peanut sauce on lettuce leaves. Got me a-thinkin' now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Possibly if done differently and with SE asian (fusion, jk) flavors
  • cbruce
    cbruce Posts: 19
    Options
    some people make chicken mole with peanut butter. 
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    What about apple butter? Pork and apple go together, right? Never had the stuff, but might be worth looking into. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    I have been using peanut butter on my lamb chops and shish kabobs for years.  A Lebanese friend of mine told me about it and I have been using it ever since.  You cannot really taste the peanut butter after it is grilled.  I usually let them marinate in the peanut butter for at least 6 hours.  I think if you add your rub to the mix it may be surprisingly good.  The peanut butter seems to help tenderize the meat as well.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Options
    Sounds like it will be awful messy

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • trup0241
    trup0241 Posts: 35
    Options
    I saw this post and figured I should give it a shot.  I made a rub using PB2 (which is a powdered peanut butter, with intense peanut flavor), garlic, and tien tsin peppers.  Smoked it with apple and pecan wood for about 11 hours at 240-250 grate temp.  It came out wonderfully.  There was a definite peanut flavor that came across that SWMBO commented on and enjoyed.  It made a decent bark as well.  Definitely give it a shot.
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

trup0241 said:
    I saw this post and figured I should give it a shot.  I made a rub using PB2 (which is a powdered peanut butter, with intense peanut flavor), garlic, and tien tsin peppers.  Smoked it with apple and pecan wood for about 11 hours at 240-250 grate temp.  It came out wonderfully.  There was a definite peanut flavor that came across that SWMBO commented on and enjoyed.  It made a decent bark as well.  Definitely give it a shot.
    Cool. Glad the results were good. Reading the thread, the thing I wondered about was if the peanut butter would burn, considering that peanuts are kinds of legumes, tho' oilier than most. Few things less edible than burnt beans.

I've seen the PB2 in one store. Will have to pick some up.

FWIW, I found some roast peanut oil in an oriental market. Has a quite distinct peanut flavor. Have been using it to add an extra flavor to lots of stuff.