Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What should I ask for my birthday. ? Seriously

grege345
grege345 Posts: 3,515
I have a large egg with a platesetter. I built my own table so I'm good there. I have a cast iron grate a thermopen and a maverick 732. What should I be asking for? So many decisions. My birthday is on the Fourth of July but I figured I should know now because of shipping. Lets figure 150-200 for price limit. Do I get lots of small things or one big item? No other eggs for now. I'll be getting a small or a mini in the fall. So? What tops the wish list
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Adjustable Rig from CGS
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited June 2013
    Adjustable rig. Ceramic grill store.
    Chubbs beat me too it.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited June 2013
    Especially since your birthday is July 4th. Always cook for large parties I bet
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • grege345
    Is the swing grate a waste of time ?

• grege345
    Or do I go digi q

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    grege345 said:

Not by a long shot......love mine. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited June 2013
    Swing grate is a fantastic product, from what I have seen. Perhaps you should check out this thread if it interests you. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151906/bge-grill-extender-group-buy#latest

The swing grate effect can be achieved with a lot less investment and get a rig.

Digi q or any other pit controller is a great idea as well if you cook low and slow more then a couple times a month. Otherwise I'd go with some way of going raised direct/ indirect.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    KennyLee said:
    grege345 said:

Not by a long shot......love mine. 

Should have mentioned I have the carbon steel swing rack from Ceramic Grillworks.....fits right in your price range too.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I'm with @KennyLee I love the two-tier adjustable swing rack from ceramic grill works. It's not even in the same ballpark with the cheap swing rack. Very well built and I highly recommend it.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • grege345
    What exact AR would I look to get for the large if I were to go that direction?

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    This one should be way off the rails already. Where are Cazzy and Eggselsior?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• grege345
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-r-b-oval-combo/ Is this what I want. Looks cool and what cooks is this going to change ?

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited June 2013
    @Solson005 Completely agree, just was trying to give another option until being able to obtain the real swing rack and the Rig at the same time. Which is what I am doing.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    grege345 said:
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-r-b-oval-combo/ Is this what I want. Looks cool and what cooks is this going to change ?

I have that setup and it rarely leaves the Egg, if you go this route don't forget extra grid and good to add rig extender and sliding grid for a third cooking level.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Call Tom at CGS and talk to him. Tell what you want to cook with your setup and he will steer you in the right direction. He has a reputation for not overselling. He is an egghead too, so he knows what he is talking about.

Ask @Solson005 to post some pics of his swing rack cooks to get an idea of what you can do with it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited June 2013
    Any extra real estate in the egg is a good thing. and i don' t know if the group buy one is the same as the one my dealer has, i did not like that one. Which doesn't mean other people won't love it. Lots of different options to get a second level.

A digiQ is a really great thing to get as a gift. Some cast iron griddle, Dutch ovens, paella pan would be nice if you wanted to get a few cheaper things. FireWire skewers are nice since they are flexible.

A spider from the ceramic grill store and a wok is another fun way to cook on the egg.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Little_Steven, Here I am!

Get the Adjustable Rig. Or the swing rack. Or get the rig and the grid extender and do the exact same thing the swing rack does for half the cost if you bought both the AR and the swing grate. Like Solson005 said, lots of options. More surface area with the AR.

NOTE:I have no vested interest in the grid extender. I am just a facilitator.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    I would ask for Butt Rubs, Extender, Stoker, and a Grate Swing! \:D/
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013
    Did you guys get a warning from the moderators or what? I asked for something for my fiftieth birthday and got it. I'm getting the same thing for my hundredth

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy

Did you guys get a warning from the moderators or what? I asked for something for my fiftieth birthday and got it. I'm getting the same thing for my hundredth

=))

• cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Okay okay, ask her to pretend your birthday is March 14th. You will need to pick up the steak though...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Cazzy... hmmm....

All I got. Drank too much to get that into "Pi" tonight. Whiskey something or other...