Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Steel Burgers...

Mighty_Quinn
Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Nice crust, eh?

Top right two seasoned with Cowlick/Raising the Steaks, others just kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Me likes the steel so far...

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Beautiful crust!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Thanks...I prefer a burger this way, seared on a flat top, I just usually end up char-grilling them. This could just as easily(easier actually) been cooked in a cast iron skillet or griddle on a indoor cook-top, but where's the fun in that??
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That steel is going to end up being well seasoned. Great cook.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Thanks cali...yep...loving that nice black patina.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Beautiful.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Okay, this thread is getting me more excited and ready to use my baking steel.

Question, do you think it would be necessary to get a second baking steel to be used soley as a flat top. I'm wondering if the grease from the flat top will have any negative affects when using it for pizza. Obviously, it can be cleaned...thoughts??
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I wouldn't think there would be any issues with doing pizzas...I do clean the heavy grease off of it and then wipe it down with a light coating of oil, just like cast iron pieces. I think I'll be making pizzas later so I'll let you know.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Wow, this thread has made me change my mind on dinner tonight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you did raised direct on the steel. What temps should I be shooting for?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Yup, raised to just above felt line with AR. I let the egg stabilize to 500 or so and then put the steel in to preheat for maybe 5 minutes...that thing heats up quickly from all the radiant heat coming off the lump.
  • cazzy

I wouldn't think there would be any issues with doing pizzas...I do clean the heavy grease off of it and then wipe it down with a light coating of oil, just like cast iron pieces. I think I'll be making pizzas later so I'll let you know.

How did you clean it?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    It came preseasoned and then I seasoned it again myself with 4 coats of flaxseed oil in the oven so it's very nonstick...pretty much all it takes is a wipe down with a damp towel, dry it off and then a light coating of oil.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Made em ... Loved em!!!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • flmtrain
    flmtrain Posts: 15
    This looks like great fun and awesome cooking, where did you buy the steel from round from? Do you have to use a drip pan due to greese running off the sides? Last question, it looks like you are using a raised grill device, where did you get that device? Thanks!
  • Mighty_Quinn

Andris at The Baking Steel custom cuts round steels...no drip pan for grease, I figure i don't use a drip pan if I'm just regularly grilling burgers so no need for one with this set-up. The dome is closed for a lot of the cook so no flare ups to deal with.
    That setup I use is the Adjustable Rig from ceramicgrillstore.com.
    flmtrain said:

This looks like great fun and awesome cooking, where did you buy the steel from round from? Do you have to use a drip pan due to greese running off the sides? Last question, it looks like you are using a raised grill device, where did you get that device? Thanks!

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Wow, nice cook up!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    The steel on direct heat might be too hot for pizza.  That steel will get hotter than the ceramic.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • cazzy

The steel on direct heat might be too hot for pizza.  That steel will get hotter than the ceramic.

That's kind of the point Sam, but you would definitely go less nuclear with the baking steel. It has better heat rentention and will be a more evenly heated cooking surface.

• kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    What does a round version run?  Special order I assume?
  • cazzy
    $79 for the baking steel and $15 more for the custom fee.
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    And it can be used along with the AR? Interesting...
  • dutchie
    dutchie Posts: 17
    I'm very curios/interested in the baking steel as well.  I can already hear my wife complaining about another add on for the bge. What diameter did you have it cut to, and are you happy with that size?

"Oh how lovely cooks the meat"- Frankie Lane

Caledonia, Ontario

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    @Mighty_Quinn thanks for the idea. Ground up some chuck and added a little bacon that I smoked yesterday. They were fantastic. The crust was awsome.
    Bloomfield, NJ