Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Egg? Yes or No? All commentary/opinions wanted

Options
13»

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We all have valid opinions about the mini and I might as well air mine.  I have used the mini to feed the two of us and I have used the mini to feed 12 people with no problems.  The menu was potato salad, rajas, 4 pork tenderloins and a buttermilk pie.  Granted the cook was done in stages, no different than most Thanksgiving dinners, but the family did sit down and eat at the same time.  
    Is the mini worth what I paid for?  For me yes, for you..that is your decision to make.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    My opinion will be unpopular.  I have a large and a mini.  I love the large and wouldn't trade it for any cooker, no matter what the price.

The mini is also very good on grilling.  I have not used it much at all for indirect or low and slow.  So, for me, I think a much cheaper Weber would do just as good as a mini.

I know Mickey will have me banned from the forum for my blasphemy, but I really don't see the "added advantage" of the mini.
    I'm another blasphemer and would go for the Smokey Joe. I use mine a lot and it's a lot lighter than the mini. Plus, dirt cheap and I did a thanksgiving turkey breast on mine at the beach and it turned out great. I love my BGE but I also like to have additional tools in my arsenal.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • bonedaddy
    bonedaddy Posts: 5
    Options
    Holy crap Mr. powder hound. Nice discussion you started. I think a mini will be in the back of my truck.
  • bonedaddy
    bonedaddy Posts: 5
    Options
    Get that mini and cook a tri tip. Everyone will be happy!
  • Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Options
    bonedaddy said:
    Get that mini and cook a tri tip. Everyone will be happy!
    I know just the place to get me one!!  :-bd
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.