Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help - Beef ribs (plus some new stuff)

Hello All,
Found some nice looking beef ribs today and I'd like to cook them up tomorrow. Looking for any advice on how to do so (thought I had some bookmarks, but can't find anything...). I'm thinking ~325 for ~3 hours, something like that?

I also just got my first bottle of DP Red Eye, and I'm thinking of rubbing the beef ribs with that tonight in preparation for going onto the grill tomorrow morning. Anyone used this on beef ribs before?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers -
B_B

P.S. - Just had 5 bags of Ozark Oak delivered today, this will be my first cook on OO Lump as well!
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• AJT
    AJT Posts: 5
    All I can say is you'll love the Ozark Oak.  I'm always amazed how long it lasts.  That, and I pay less than $5/bag.  :)
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Wow, I can't seem to find beef ribs around here ( northern NJ ), I might have to go to a butcher and its prob gonna be costly.  Your temp / time seems about rite, tho.  Good luck..please let me know results.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    @Black_Badger I have never done beef ribs, but on your ps you are going to love the OO.It does high heat as well as low and slow very well.I get it at a store down the road. It is made in my state.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Federalist226
    Federalist226 Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    You've got the right idea on the ribs, but don't be surprised if it takes longer than 3 hours. This is definitely a cook to measure by tenderness and internal temp rather than time. I just use s/p on mine. The flavor of the meet is all I need.

One of my favorite cooks. Enjoy!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I love beef ribs! Can't wait for the finished pics.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I did some of these recently, copying (mostly) a video / recipe found online.

Prep with rub of choice. 
    Cook indirect at 330F 1:15.
    Foil each rack, adding 1TBSP liquid and drizzling the meat side with honey, cook another 1:15.
    Remove from foil, sauce, cook another 10-15m.

The recipe called for water in the foil.  I used apple cider.  He gave a recipe for a rub...I used my usual home made rub that I use on pork ribs and beef steaks. 

I loved them.  I've been looking for suitable ribs for a repeat...but I don't often see beef back ribs with much meat on them.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

I'm guessing you know when there done by the bend test and when the ribs stick out or do you cook ribs to 195ish just like a butt,brisket etc????

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    B_B, I've tried DP Red Eye on beef back ribs before. Pretty good but not my first choice of beef rub (but I love Red Eye on lamb).

I cook them around 300 with just some rub, no foil, and find them done in around 3 1/2 hrs so I'd think your time estimate should be pretty good.

They don't bend quite like pork ribs so don't count on the "bend test" but rely more on tests like a toothpick or you can get an IT on them as they have more room between the bones.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    The racks I've seen at the store are generally only 4 bones wide or less, so I doubt the bend test is applicable.  I searched again, and here's the recipe mine were based on:

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/09/beef-back-ribs-aka-dino-bones.html

I say "based on" because I ignored his rubs and used my own, didn't have an onion and didn't feel like another trip to the store, and didn't have any beer on hand.  I did "sauce" them with a mix of BBQ sauce and the juices from the foil.  I wonder if it would have been worth pouring those juices through a fat separator?  I was real happy with them...but my wife said they were too fatty.

After the first part of the cook, there was quite a bit of pull-back.  Kind of like he mentions at the top of that page...they may have been "done" (i.e. safe to eat) after just 1.25hrs, but they were not ready.

Raw, the meat on these went all the way to the bottoms of the bones.

imageimage
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    njl said:

I say "based on" because I ignored his rubs and used my own, didn't have an onion and didn't feel like another trip to the store, and didn't have any beer on hand.  I did "sauce" them with a mix of BBQ sauce and the juices from the foil.  I wonder if it would have been worth pouring those juices through a fat separator?  I was real happy with them...but my wife said they were too fatty.

How did you let that happen? 
    :-q
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    njl said:
    I did some of these recently, copying (mostly) a video / recipe found online.

Prep with rub of choice. 
    Cook indirect at 330F 1:15.
    Foil each rack, adding 1TBSP liquid and drizzling the meat side with honey, cook another 1:15.
    Remove from foil, sauce, cook another 10-15m.

The recipe called for water in the foil.  I used apple cider.  He gave a recipe for a rub...I used my usual home made rub that I use on pork ribs and beef steaks. 

I loved them.  I've been looking for suitable ribs for a repeat...but I don't often see beef back ribs with much meat on them.
    After the1:15 in the foil, take them off and let them rest in the foil for 15 minutes and then unfoil and put back on and sauce for the 10-15 minutes.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    R2Egg2Q -- that 2nd picture made my jaw drop.  Wow.  =P~
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Irish Devil has a great method!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Thanks everyone. I did rub them with DP Red Eye last night (because I just got it and really want to try it) and I have the Egg set up and stabilizing now. I'll send some reports as the day goes on.

Doing a large untrimmed rack of pork spares as well. I mention untrimmed because I've been wondering how things will go if I cook first and trim later, so I'm giving it a try. These were rubbed with DP Dizzy Dust.

In general I'm not a foil guy, really love a good, crusty bark. I'm going to get to ~270 or so where my XL locks in and let them go for about 4 hours before I sneak a peak. I'll have some pics later.

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Okay guys, wanted to post some pics. I would say these turned out good, but not great. Temp drifted up to ~300 during the cook, about 4 hours total between 240 and 300. They were at 205 between the bones when I pulled them and the meet had retracted a lot, so I figured they were all good. FTC for as couple hours then out for the afternoon.

When I came back I pulled the beef ribs out of the foil and sliced them. The taste was really nice, but they seems a little tough, probably a little underdone. I decided to try and braise them to tenderize, so I browned some onions in a DO and added the ribs along with a can of beef stock. Put the DO on a pizza stone on the egg at the felt line. Cooked at 500 covered for 1 hour. Took all the meet off the bones and had this great beefy spread, almost like boneless short ribs. This was really nice, but there was some membrane that was gumming up the works a bit. I pulled the membrane off the back of the ribs so I'm not sure where this came from, but it was a bit of a bummer. Still, made for some very nice sandwiches with some blue cheese. I need to refine this a bit because it had all kinds of potential!

The pork spare ribs turned out nice too. I sauced half with Blues Hog that I just got for the first time. That stuff is GREAT! The best result of the day was the blues hog sauced spare ribs.

Also grilled a Romaine. That needs some work. Ended up watery and wilted. Salt and pepper gave a nice taste, but all in all not a win.

Good cooks, good day. Learning experience as always.

LOVED the Ozark Oak! That stuff is great.

Cheers all -

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • arsilvera
    arsilvera Posts: 8
    It looks like you cooked short ribs, not back ribs. Nibble me this was cooking back ribs (from the prime rib area), short ribs are from the chuck area, if I'm not mistaken. BUT, they look awesome and the method is just fine for short ribs as well. I enjoy them more b/c they have more meat. Your wife's comment is appropriate b/c they are more fatty than back ribs.