Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Turkey - Prep and Tips Needed

Powderhound
Powderhound Posts: 139
My Father in law shot a 16 lb Wild Turkey a few weeks ago in MN.  He wants me to grill it on my BGE.  He removed the skin, why I am not sure.  Anyway, thinking I wrap in bacon on the ceramic turkey sitter.  Any suggestions are welcomed.  Brine? Time and Temp?  Rub?  Thanks to all in advance.  I will be sure to post results of my cook.  
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    The only wild turkey I have ever had was in liquid form.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    shtgunal3 said:

The only wild turkey I have ever had was in liquid form.

Rare breed
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Throw away and buy one from store. Wild Turkey is crazy tough usually and the only way I've found that I've enjoyed it was soaked in buttermilk and then fried in strips similar to chicken fried steak.

I've tried grilling and smoking and baking, and the only way I can stomach it is chicken fried.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Ive also heard about the only way to eat them is cut it in strips and fry it.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    It does get tough and can be gamey- I would definitely brine and maybe some acidic marinade to try to break down the meat a little. Let us know how it turns out.
    Greensboro, NC
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like you have the whole turkey. The breast is the only thing you will be happy with. Some people grind the legs and make turkey salad or sausage . Not worth it to me. I just filet out the breast.

Cut the breast meat into strips on nuggets across the grain when possible. Marinate in zesty Italian dressing . I like 12-24 hrs. Grill raised direct or indirect over a hot fire ( I like 400 ) until internal temp is 170 and no more. Won't take long , and if cooking direct turn often.

Get it right and you won't want no more store bought bird!!!

Strips marinated in buttermilk for 24 hrs , breaded in Louisiana chicken fry , then fried is tasty also.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Booze or meat?

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Powderhound
    Powderhound Posts: 139
    Thanks for all the commentary everyone.  I made the whole bird on the grill and needless to say it will be my last.  The taste was a little dry but not gamey and yet flavorful from the bacon and apple wood.  The legs were pretty tough.  Bottom line, my Father in Law liked it and that was all that mattered.  The bonus was I got to experiment with my new Digi Q.  
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.