Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butts on my egg!

lewisj82
lewisj82 Posts: 184
Wife asked me to do a little bbq for the people at her work. She works with about 20 people and I figured pulled pork would be easiest. Cooking them today, once they are done and shredded, going to bag it up and she is going to heat it up at work in a crock pot on warm. Figured that would heat them up nice without drying it out.

15.5lbs of shoulder, but didn't realize they were boneless when I picked them up at costco. Pat them dry with paper towel after taking them out and realized... when the bone was removed it made things sloppy. I didn't want parts to overcook so I did a quick trussing job on them. Then a splash of apple cider vinegar, rubbed down with my rib rub (Fiesta Seasonings Pork Rub), and a fistfull of brown sugar on top. Done this method for a while and it hasn't let me down yet. 15.5lbs of pulled pork is a lot for a group of 20 ladies, so I guess that leaves a bunch for us!

As of this posting they have been on for right at 12hrs, should be done by the time I finish my yard work that I am about to start. Will post after pics when done! Here is a shot when I put them on late last night, and another one once the sun came up with my "helper".

imageimage

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby

Comments

• P_Hop
    P_Hop Posts: 5
    Looks good. I'm curious to know how did it work with the drip pan? I find that if I don't cover every inch of the meat I get some of the drippings to find its way down to the coals.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Your "helper" looks pretty happy to be there. Nice cook.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Your helper looks like he/she is gonna need a sample
  • Looks good,  I bet your helper is going to learn to open the egg and sample all the great meals. :))
  • lewisj82
    Glad I checked temps before I started my yard, they were done! Brown sugar turned into a nice glaze, which is quite nice once it's mixed up into the meat after shredding. Got 'em wrapped up in the ice chest and will pull them as soon as I take a shower and cool off.

As far as my helper, I'm sure she'd love a sample, but I wouldn't take her culinary opinion too seriously. She once ate about half of the dirt out of a potted plant and was pretty excited about it. I can guarantee you that she will be watching the floor in the kitchen while I shred! 

Will post after pics shortly.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • lewisj82
    Oh, almost forgot- @P_Hop:

The pan was about half way full of water when I started, collected the vast majority of the drippings. A little bit of each shoulder was hanging over where the pan was, and whatever dripped over was evaporated on the platesetter. You can see where it had dripped and it never quite made it over the side. 

If I had not had a pan under there, it would have probably dripped all over the place and made it's way onto the coals. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

• lewisj82
    I know I did good when my wife takes a bite and says "Holy God" as her eyes roll back into her head. This pulled pork was light years ahead of what I was doing on my old bbq. 

Here's a pic of thing one, one of thing two, and one of my lunch. imageimageimage

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I would be curious to know how everything turned out when your wife brought them to work. I am wanting to do the same thing but I am afraid to bring them into work the next day instead of right when they come off the Egg.
  • lewisj82
    Plano_JJ - I did this once before for my daughter's christening. (Pre-egg) the butts came out great, and I shredded and put them into big ziplok bags before the service the following afternon. Before we left, I dumped it all into the crock pot and put it on WARM before we left. Not any of the cooking settings, just warm. 

I rushed back to the house and gave it a quick stir, then after people filed into the house and chatted for a while, I told them that food was ready, all in all just over two hours probably on that warm setting. It came out just fine!

I'm having her call me this afternoon after lunch to see how it went. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Did you add BBQ sauce to the crockpot or just the pork?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • lewisj82
    The one I did it was just the pork.  I like to leave the sauceing up the person eating it. I don't like a lot of sauce, others might. 

This round, I left that up to my wife. I'll find out what she does after they eat. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

• lewisj82
    Update from the wife: She said it was still moist, delicious pulled pork. I had her put in in the crock pot this morning and give it a toss every now and again. She put in just the pork, no sauce. Although, I guess if you are worried about that, you could throw some sauce in there if you wanted.

Must have been good. Lots of people went back for second.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    lewisj82 said:
    Update from the wife: She said it was still moist, delicious pulled pork. I had her put in in the crock pot this morning and give it a toss every now and again. She put in just the pork, no sauce. Although, I guess if you are worried about that, you could throw some sauce in there if you wanted.

Must have been good. Lots of people went back for second.

Good to hear man, I will probably try it after hearing this.