Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizzas

SaturdayFatterday
SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Our second shot at pizzas.  Wife did the crusts again.  Kept the Egg at 400 until just before the first pizza was tossed and topped, then kicked out the jams and preheated the stone for a few minutes.  Did one pizza, eased back the vents while prepping the next on the peel, then re-opened.

The first pizza is BBQ pork and cilantro (pork was leftover from a Memorial Day weekend butt cook, cilantro from our garden, and BBQ sauce was homemade); the second is margherita with true Thai basil in lieu of sweet basil (because bugs demolished our sweet basil but not the Thai).

imageimageimageimage

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Those look great.  Perfect.

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    man what great pies!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Great job.  Wife loves Margherita pies
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited May 2013
    @SaturdayFatterday... those pies look great. I'm going to do some tonight. About how long did they take to bake? What did the temp climb to by the time they were done?
    Thanks!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Nice looking pies!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• @TexanOfTheNorth:  Thanks!  Took a few minutes per pie - we are doing an all-purpose flour crust rather than the Neapolitan style, so it's a little thicker and puffier.  I put 'em way up in the dome (PS, tri-level rack, pizza stone) to get radiant heat on the toppings from the dome and keep the stone from overheating.  I peek through the top to keep an eye on the crust, and rotate as necessary (the tri-level spins freely), as the crust tends to cook faster toward the back of the Egg.  When I throw it open, it rockets up to 700+ dome pretty fast.  I've seen it top 800 dome, easily.

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Great looking pizzas.  I've tried 1 so far and it was awesome.  Looking forward to doing some more.

• Thanks, everyone!  I've loved doing all the cooks I've tried on the Egg, but pizza might be the most fun.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Thanks for the info. I'll be trying a sourdough crust and will let you know how it goes. Hope mine turn out as good as yours look!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Those things look amazing!!!!!  Nicely done.  The pork one particularly, but both of them are home runs in my book.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Looks good! Looks like you got the crusts darker this time. Good stuff. I can't believe we are going out for pizza tonight but have to try the new Marchbox at the Mosaic District.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Wow looks amazing.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    well done!  We do pizzas all the time - one of our favorite egg meals. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Nailed it! Fantastic color.
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I have done pizzas three times now and they all turned out great. The problem I have is that I cook them at the felt line and the temp only gets up to about 375. My pizzas have to cook for 15-20 minutes. I am cooking PS legs up with the grid on top of it. I then put the pizza stone on the grid. Do you put the PS in after the fire gets going good? I have the bottom vent wide open and the top uncovered. I have cleaner the ash out and the split of the fire ring is in front. I read where some get the temp above 600 but I can only do that with no plate setter in place. Any suggestions? Thanks. I am waiting for the grill extender for the grids so I can get the pizza higher in the dome.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • I put the PS and tri-level grid in after the fire's going, but not raging.  I let the Egg "preheat" to 400, and hold it there.  A few minutes before I put the first pizza in, I put in the pizza stone and let 'er rip.

Have you calibrated your dome thermo lately?  I feel like when I've got a full firebox and vents open, the Egg rockets above 400-500 without even trying.  What kind of lump are you using?

• grEGGorys
    I haven't calibrated the dome thermometer but it is close to my DigiQ temp when I use it. I have been using BGE lump but I have bought some Royal Oak that I will try next.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Well played. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • @grEGGorys:  this cook was on BGE lump, too.  Maybe use a wiggle rod to make sure your lump/ash isn't blocking the grate?  Can't think of what else would be limiting the airflow if you've got 'er wide open.  I don't use a Hi-Q grate, but that might help - I'd do a quick search on the forum for the details on that.

Maybe @jamieoro has some further insight, as she makes some mean-looking pizzas.

• grEGGorys
    I have a BGE ash tool that I rake the coals to get the ash to settle thru the grate. I keep the ash cleaned out. Thanks for the help. I am sure I will keep learning as time goes on. I forgot to mention how nice SaturdayFatterday's pizzas looked. I was jealous that he could cook them so fast. I didn't mean to steal his post. Just trying to be a better Egger.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • @grEGGorys:  Thanks, and no apology necessary!  The point of these cook posts is for us to all swap and share whatever we know, right?  I'm hoping some Eggers more veteran than I will jump in and give you better advice than I can.