Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt or Shoulder?

2»

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I cook 2 butts (9 lb. Each) at 275 degrees and it has never gone more than 14 hours. Keep the dome closed and monitor with a Maverick.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Most shoulders I have seen where I live are called Pork Picnics.  They have a bigger bone and usually have the skin on, thus more waste.  I always opt for the butt, you can't go wrong.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    yzzi said:
    Also. You still have time to Amazon you some meat claws (bear claws is a brand name). They make the pulling job much easier.
    I took your advice on this one just now. Having a party for 50 in a couple weeks so this will help I suppose.
    It is the best purchase I have made for 'pulled' anything (beef, pork, chicken)
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I like pulling with my hands rather than the claws ... just a personal preference! My favorite pulled pork meal is eating morsels 'while' I'm pulling ... it never gets better than that!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    caliking said:
    +1... I think. I didn't know there was a difference.

The raw weight to buy depends a bit on what else is on the menu - if you serve other proteins then you need less pork. On the other hand, there is no such thing as too much pulled pork. You can freeze it and use for all kinds of things e.g. tacos, burritos, nachos, pizzas, etc.
    @caliking - you most likely do not know as much about shoulders in your business. Wrong end.

Could not help myself, sorry.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Higgy
    Higgy Posts: 35
    20 hours is about normal, you don't want to rush anything with higher temps.
    At the end of the day...It's the end of the day!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Springram: touche my friend :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.