Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egged Pork Spare Ribs...yum.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Wow Looks awesome yummy
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Did you trim those?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Looks great. What is the bright orange/reddish area?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    jccbone62 said:
    Looks great. What is the bright orange/reddish area?
    I guessing just sunlight based on the dome shadow and Smitty holding up the camera in the foreground.

Smitty,
    CWM style?
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

Yeah the shadow effect caused the red highlight.  Yes, we trim our own spares.

We take a few things from brother Carwash....the oversized drip pan being the most important-IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130

Yeah the shadow effect caused the red highlight.  Yes, we trim our own spares.

We take a few things from brother Carwash....the oversized drip pan being the most important-IMO.

What's your reasoning for saying that?  Just curious.  Also, where do you find an oversized drip pan?
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    edited May 2013

The oversized drip pan is simply a turkey roasting pan (with blunt ends).   This creates added protected (protected from intense heat) space in the large BGE.  The added protected space allows you to cook oversized loads without worry of heat exposure.  Carwash Mike used to use one of these and we quickly adopted it as well.

When you cook one single pork butt, the protected area created by the platesetter is enough, once you add a second pork butt you then have too much meat hanging in the heat zones....thus the oversized drip pan can add protection to allow both to cook indirectly with out heat exposure.  

We buy these disposable pans in the local grocery stores, the rounded ends don't fit as well as the blunt ends.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

Smitty,

Those look marvelous!  Do you ever flip them?  How do you get them so shiny and perfect-looking?

Z

• SMITTYtheSMOKER

Hello ZE,

We only go meat side down in the foiling process.  We tend to use Blues hog in our sauce mix as we also feel the varnishing characteristics are nice to the eye.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited May 2013
    Looking good Smitty! Question for you: How do you get the uniformed coverage of the sauce like that? I'm assuming you are in the final stages of your cook in that pic?
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER

Applied carefully with a silicone brush.  The sauce will level out with some heat (we only heat for 5 minutes).  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Dam good job with that brush my friend. I often find that a brush produces some streaks that will normally even out with a little heat but sometimes doesn't. I know your a competition cook so I thought you might have a trick up your sleeve. I've seen some teams dip the meat side in a shallow pan filled with sauce in order to avoid the streaked look. The only question left is how did you score with them?
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Wow!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER

We're still playing with a few things on our ribs.  We use 5 different layers of flavor on each slab throughout the cooking process.

These took 9th last week...we're getting close.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look great Smitty and thanks for all the pro tips ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Smitty, do you start with a mustard base?
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles