Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you grill duck

My fellow edgers I have a deep dark question....CAN YOU GRILL DUCK!!!!!!!! I have a friend coming in town and I already doing a turkey Breast, and I'm very interested in Doing a duck...so if anybody has a recipe a time and a temp....I would be very greatful...thank you and HAPPY EGGING!!!!!!!
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Yes, I've done ducks a number of times...they turn out great.  I do indirect at 350 grate, kicking up to 425 for the last 20 minutes or so to help crisp the skin.

Make sure to us a drip pan with water...ducks have a lot of fat.  It also helps if you put the duck uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 hours to help dry the skin.  Make lots of small cuts in the skin, making sure not to pierce into the meat...that allows the fat to drain out during the cook.  

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    + 1. Ducks are very greasy so make sure you use a deep enough drip pan.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    BigGreenHead, I did one over the weekend that came folks seemed to like. I spatchcocked the duck, cut lots of slits in the skin, try to go through the skin layer but not all the way through the fat to the meat, this is to let the duck fat (liquid goodness) out. Definitely indirect (platesetter, legs up, grid on top) with a drip pan underneath to catch the awesome duck fat (my cook notes say to put potatoes and onions in the drip pan next time to cook off in the duck fat) make sure to put small spacers under the drip pan on top of the platesetter so the fat doesn't burn. 275 dome until duck internal temp hit 180, about 4 hours. 3 nice size chunks of Apple wood for smoke. I started breast side down for 3 hours, to render the fat, breast up last hour or so. When internal temp hit 175, I took out the platesetter and put the duck breast down on the grid to crisp up the skin. Will definitely do again. (My son asked if he could have a duck sandwich for school, so I guess he liked it :) ) Good luck!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • @cparktx..so at 350 indirect...I can cook it right along wit the turkey brest cause thats the same tempi cook it at 350-375...thats perfect..can I season it as poultry?
    "Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

You can spatchcock, roast or smoke. This is the best thing I ever made.

Brome (Quebec) duck breasts, seasoned with crushed juniper berries, garlic, salt and thyme
    Smoked at 200* for three hours
    Wowoh baby!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @BugGreenHead I like to do Peking style. I season with dark sesame oil and a little (don't go overboard) Chinese Five Spice.

I don't see why you couldn't do turkey breasts at same time, if you have a split level setup do turkey on top since duck is greasy.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,433
    What everyone else said about giving the fat a way to leave, and not burn.

I've used a simple glaze sometimes at the very end for ducks:  half honey and half orange marmalade, mixed and then warmed on the stove to thin it out, brush it on the crisped skin just a few minutes before the end of the cook.  Yum!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• @cparktx...I have a half moon extention for my xl...that shoulld be good...the sesame oil and the five spice I can find that in the any grocery store..correct or do I have to hit the world market?