Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For you Eggers with a Mini

RLeeper
RLeeper Posts: 480
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Went to the mothership today and saw the new plate setter for the Mini. It comes with a new fire ring that has three notches to support the setter...around sixty bucks for the two.
Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA

Comments

• bevg
    bevg Posts: 9
    Thanks for posting.  I was reluctant to consider the mini because a plate setter was not available....

Large BGE - Northern California
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    bevg said:

Thanks for posting.  I was reluctant to consider the mini because a plate setter was not available....

Get a woo from CGS and ceramic stones from amazon and is not needed anyway.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Pretty cool they have one now though.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've always like the plate setter, solid and does what it's made for well. Thanks for posting man.

XLBGE 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    +1 thanks for the heads up.
    Seattle, WA
  • RLeeper
    Chubbs said:

Although very economical I haven't had good experience with those stones. I don't know if anyone else has the same experience, but three out of my four have cracked.
  • SkinnyV
    edited March 2013
    Does anyone know if you can buy handles only? I like the new rounded style wood piece they have.
    Seattle, WA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    @RLeeper  if you bought the stone four pack on Amazon, good chance you purchased the wrong set.  Recommend the Old Stone Oven two set pack, little thicker than the four pack from Pizzacraft.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RLeeper
    tjv said:
    @RLeeper  if you bought the stone four pack on Amazon, good chance you purchased the wrong set.  Recommend the Old Stone Oven two set pack, little thicker than the four pack from Pizzacraft.

t

Tjv thanks for that ill check it out. Btw when is the AR coming for the medium?!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I'm not going to make any friends with this, but being honest, here goes.

I don't know anybody that has a mini as their only Egg.  I'm sure you also have a large, medium, etc. and they probably have a plate setter. So, your big indirect cooks are done on the larger Egg.

So, that leaves small, indirect cooks for the Mini like cooking a tiny pizza.  Why wouldn't you do a larger one on the big Egg?.  Even if  you had several little ones, wouldn't doing them on the big egg be better?

I only use the Mini for grilling, and a Weber would do just as good as a Mini.  I'm really wondering why I bought a mini in the first place.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SkinnyV
    Mini is my only egg and I posted today a6lb butt cook in the small or mini thread.

I can see if you have a larger you would more than likely use that, but why if the mini will do the job less lump.
    Seattle, WA
  • RLeeper
    edited March 2013

I don't know anybody that has a mini as their only Egg.  I'm sure you also have a large, medium, etc. and they probably have a plate setter. So, your big indirect cooks are done on the larger Egg.

So, that leaves small, indirect cooks for the Mini like cooking a tiny pizza.  Why wouldn't you do a larger one on the big Egg?.  Even if  you had several little ones, wouldn't doing them on the big egg be better?

I only use the Mini for grilling, and a Weber would do just as good as a Mini.  I'm really wondering why I bought a mini in the first place.

I like using my mini for I directs such as steaks (reverse sear), chops, wings, sausages, checked breasts etc...I have a large and a medium also. I like mine for portability and the economic factor of using less lump. I also do some cooking at the lake for myself and whoever is with me when I'm boating. For me I have to have a means of indirect for my mini.
  • Chubbs

VI, I will buy your mini. My dealer is taking a damn decade getting it in. I bet shipping is a lot though.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

VI, you are absolutely right. I always say, choose your weapon for the mission.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    RLeeper said:
    Chubbs said:

Although very economical I haven't had good experience with those stones. I don't know if anyone else has the same experience, but three out of my four have cracked.

I have bought 3 of the 2 pacs from Amazon and all 6 are fine. First set over 3 years old and lots of cooks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    IMO (backed up with lots of Mini usage) the plate setter from BGE money would be better spent with a Mini Woo and package of two stones from Amazon. That gives you the foundation to put a wok and a Lodge griddle. This is one of the few areas that I disagree with my good/close friend VI. Fred you might have posted that last month but you should post it every month. Cool picture. To be fair I am not a believer in any Egg plate setter and have had two. Other ways to do same thing and many other things a PS can't do m
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959

Who's mini?  My youngest has claimed ownership of it.  Here she is last month.  I think I posted this earlier.

What a cutie !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have a small with the woo and love it, one of the best reasons to have one of the smaller eggs is the ability to travel with it. Now as most of us prefer the woo and stones route, I think that it is great that BGE is paying attention to all the great posts that all the mini eggers have made. They now realize that much more can be made on the mini and it IS BETTER  than a cheap inefficient grill. I like planning cooks to fill up my small egg and imagine some mini owners do the same. 

thanks for posting
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @fred19flintsone. Hey what is that white carpet outside your garage all about??? Looks like your training a future egghead. Well done. =D>
    Large, small, and a mini
  • @fred19flintsone. Hey what is that white carpet outside your garage all about??? Looks like your training a future egghead. Well done. =D>

That, sir, is what my driveway typically looks like in late winter.  Up until sometime in January, I keep up on shoveling and snowblowing snow off the driveway.  Once that point is reached in January, which I call the "Aw, the H3// With It!" point, keeping a safe clean driveway is no longer my second job and becomes less of a priority.  I wait for a sunny or warm day (we usually don't have both sunny and warm days at the same time in Michigan in winter) and by warm, I mean above freezing.  That's 32 degrees F for my southern BBQ brethren, the Canuckistan brothers know it's 0 degrees C because that's when their hockey pucks slow down and get soggy.  Anyway that white garbage releases from the driveway and is relatively easy to remove.

Elaine my talented assistant said she wants to help with the next butt because she thought squirting mustard and rubbing it around was like fingerpainting the meat and probably a source of great fun.  I'm not sure it's a good idea.  Her reputation for making large messes is well deserved.  Thanks! 

Flint, Michigan
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV said:

Does anyone know if you can buy handles only? I like the new rounded style wood piece they have.

Ne1 know?
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    SkinnyV said:
    Ne1 know?
    @SkinnyV are you talking Mini and like this:

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I guess its cool BGE came up with one, but I'm more than satisfied with @tjv 's Mini Woo and 2 pizza stones.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm cool with the mini woo and stones, too. I do some raised directs on the mini. I only occasionally do indirects, but a pork loin roast once in a while is worth the price of the woo and stone. VI, sorry you aren't pleased. I put the mini right outside the backdoor and we cook on it at least three times a week. I use the large once a week, maybe.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

MIckey, not to highjack this post, but I noticed you have just one layer of silicone pad in your Egg Carten.  Is that how you are doing it now?  I have been eggsperimenting with using 4 ceramic feet inside the Carten on 1/2 inch silicone pad.  Sure works great, no heat problem with whatever I set the Carten on.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SkinnyV
    @mickey yea the handle but I was thinking more the newer bge generic wood handle. Mine is more square and stripped down quite a bit. I like the new bge handle look and feel.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    jaydub58 said:

MIckey, not to highjack this post, but I noticed you have just one layer of silicone pad in your Egg Carten.  Is that how you are doing it now?  I have been eggsperimenting with using 4 ceramic feet inside the Carten on 1/2 inch silicone pad.  Sure works great, no heat problem with whatever I set the Carten on.

I ordered the 1/4 inch as well (now setting under the 1/2 inch). That is a lot of $$ for silicone. I am thinking of glueing the 1/4inch to the outside bottom of the Carten.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Mickey
    If you think that is a lot of money for silicone, you should see the price on "enhanced" breast not purchased in the meat department...
  • Mickey
    @Mickey
    If you think that is a lot of money for silicone, you should see the price on "enhanced" breast not purchased in the meat department...

^:)^