Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New table -- can't find 18" paver. Substitutions?

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, finally joined the club with a large BGE!  Table nest is being ordered so I'm waiting to set it up.  I built a table this weekend but am looking for something to set the table nest on.  Lowes/Home Depot only has 16" pavers and none of the tile stores locally can help (So Cal).  

Any idea where I could find a 2" thick 18x18" paver or another piece of material that can be sized and put into there? 

I loved the idea of a round piece of granite and resting the nest on there, but not sure how I'd go about getting that as the tile/countertop places looked like I was crazy for even asking.  

Any help would be appreciated!! 

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    where in SO CAL ?
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    I used two 8" x 16" concrete pavers about 1.5" thick. Have about a 1/4" gap between them to allow for air to circulate and give room for thermal expansion.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • sellouts
    sellouts Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    McStew said:
    where in SO CAL ?
    Westside of LA.  But I head down to South Bay / Torrance area regularly if you know of a place in that area.
    I used two 8" x 16" concrete pavers about 1.5" thick. Have about a 1/4" gap between them to allow for air to circulate and give room for thermal expansion.
    That's a good idea, thanks!  Of course 8x16 isn't an option locally but I can try calling a few different places and maybe they'll offer that.  Or give my hand at trying to split one manually -- at $3.49 it's not like they're going to break the bank if I completely mangle it.
  • jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88
    Buy as many firebricks as you need to make the size you want
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Go to some granite shops. They should have some sink cutouts or scrap pieces that would be reasonable. I got a 24" x 32" for 100.00. But looks like u are wanting a smaller piece.so should be cheaper. I have xl.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Check a brick yard...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    On my table, I put a bunch of bricks, about 2" under my XL. They are in a ring around the base, with some more in the middle for support. I have them so that the holes are sticking outward. In my mind, it helps keep it cool underneath the egg, but hey, that could just be my weirdness talking.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    There is a place in SF Valley called Jacobi Building Materials I think they are on Topanga and Victory they have or can get just about any size you need
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    I found slabs of blue stone nearly 2" thick.
    $7 at an out door nursrey
    Chesapeake, VA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I had very good results using 3  12" pavers in my table under my Large BGE, under the 3 ceramic feet.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • sellouts
    sellouts Posts: 6
    edited June 2013
    For anyone looking for one in SoCal, I tracked one down at Sepulveda Building Materials.  They've got locations from San Diego to Santa Barbara, the coast to Palm Springs I think.