Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need the BEST wing recipe on the egg....

Options
WVU-Egg
WVU-Egg Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the guys coming over tonight for our fantasy football draft. And they want wings on the egg.[p]Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations.

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    WVU_Egg,
    I, along with all I have served these to, agree these are the best wings we have ever eaten. I sauce mine at the end. Super good........

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html[/ul]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    WVU_Egg,
    Our D looked good. Other than the fumbles, I think we looked really good. I feel like the weight is off my shoulders.
    We love these wings, but I reduce the amount of salt by half and add red pepper.[p]Ahab’s Chili-Lime Wings
    5 Pounds wings, separated
    1 cup lime juice
    1 4 oz. can of peeled and diced green chilis
    2 Tablespoons garlic powder
    2 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    2 Tablespoons salt
    1 Tablespoon lemon-pepper
    1 Tablespoon soy sauce
    1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
    cayenne pepper to taste
    Puree the chilis in a food processor or blender. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Marinate for 2-3 hours. Reserve marinade for basting. Longer marinating time will not improve the flavor, in fact the lime will become too dominant.
    Grill wings at 230° dome, turning and basting every 10 to 15 minutes with reserved marinade. Wings are done when they don't stick to the grill. (about 2 hours total)[p]

Apollo Beach, FL
  • egret/WVU - I too have cooked up some wings using the Dizzy Pig recipe...just this weekend....consensus - GREAT!![p]I like hot but my wife does not. So for her, I mixed 1/2 cup KC. Masterpiece Original with 4 tbsp. honey - made her a honey BBQ glaze....men were they good! As for me - I went with the traditional hot wing sauce made with Frank's hot sauce...can't wait to do it again soon...now that FB season is upon us!

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Do you boil the mariade before using it as a baste? I'm kinda paranoid about basting with used marinades without boiling them first.
  • WVU_Egg, here is one that I have worked on for the last year (my Egg's 1st "Birthday" was Labor Day!)[p]This is more of a pattern, or method, than a hard-and-fast recipe, but they turn out very close one time to the next.[p]1 pkg fresh wings (I usually try to find paks that will yield 24 sections)
    Wing Sauce (I like Crystal, but you can make your own from a milder or hotter pepper sauce, olive oil (or even margarine), and cider vinegar)
    Roughly equal amounts of cumin, chile powder, curry powder (or garam masala), kosher salt, file' (ground sassafras - gives the mix sticking power), and ground black pepper[p]- Separate the wings into drummettes and wing sections
    - place in a large bowl, and layer the wings so that "some" (how much is yours to decide) sauce, then spices, can be liberally applied before the next layer
    (note that this helps break down - hydrolyze - the fat in the wings, so the longer they sit, the better)[p]- Bring the dome temp to 325-350
    - Place wings on an elevated grid if you have one, or the regular grate if you don't (you'll just have to be more careful with the lower grate); place the wing sections fatty side down first
    - Let them brown on one side - this will prob take ~10-20 mins, depending on your Egg, exact temp, etc.
    - Flip them and let the other side brown
    -Now, one of the two important "tricks": close down the dampers to get the temp graduallly down down to ~250-300, and let them cook down, along the lines of 30-45 mins. maybe more - turn as needed to prevent scorching, but they will need to really cook down to bring out the gelatin and render the fat to moisture; there will be scads of steam and you may need to rotate the grid or move the wings to eliminate the effect(s) of hotspots
    - The doneness is yours to decide, but the following bits apply mainly if you get them past the point of rose' (still pink - I like wings WELL DONE, but not dried-out)
    the seond trick:
    -- when they are at the point you prefer, take them off and IMMEDIATELY pour over some of the same sauce you use as a marinade (not from the marinade bowl, but an extra amount) while they're still very hot, cover tightly, and place in an ice chest or a cold oven; the wings will (re-)absorb most/much of the liquid and give you amazing flavor, tenderness, and moistness (if you like them "swimming," just add a bunch of sauce and enjoy the extra, but be careful of using too much if the sauce is very vinegary, since that will wrinkle the skin more than usual)[p]I make my own mayo and use it (with light cream, buttermilk, and crumbled bleu cheese) to make the bleu cheese dressing, but it's not *that* much better than gettimg some bleu cheese crumbles and mixing them into a good BC dressing (Ken's is the best commercial brand I've tried, personally) - best flavor comes from a long wait, so that the BC flavor permeates the dressing[p]Anchor Steam or Dos Equis suits these very well, but the best beer is the coldest, if you know what I mean ;)[p]-- You can also sprinkle a LOT of the spice mix onto them and skip the saucing; this will give them a nice spice crust
    -- I've also tried just salt and and letting it sit overnight, but I really like the aromas of the vinegar sauce when it starts to cook[p]

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,
    I don't. The way I look at it is if your cooking at 300*, it should not take long for whatever you baste the bird with to come up to a safe temp. I baste them every 10 minutes or so and cook them for 15 minutes or so after the last basting.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • CdnQer
    Options
    egret,

I agree, this DP recipe is great. I just used it on chicken legs this weekend. Nice and crunchy!

Erik
  • WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Options
    Wardster,
    Yes the D looked good. A win is a win so I'll take it with all of our youth. Especially at Cuse. Now if we can just stop fumbling the ball.

• Wardster,
    I made those chili-lime wings with drumsticks (kosher family coming over, and market had no kosher wings). Every last one of them was gone! My one friend's daughter who never, ever eats anything that is not dessert had three helpings, so my vote is definitely to go with the Chili Lime. Of course anything Dizzy Pig is terrific, so you can't go wrong with that.[p]Barbara

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    ToddM,[p]without a doubt, that is the most detailed method I can think of on how to do wings. Will give it a try on the next batch.[p]Thanks[p]Scott