Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect low and slow--so far

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Yesterday I started cooking 30 pounds of pork butt in preparation for a party in a couple weeks. I cleaned out the egg nice and good and opened up a bag of wicked good. The pieces were some of the largest I've seen so I knew I'd get good airflow between that and the hi que grate. Got about 3 10 pounders on my grid, if only my swing rack bracket were here already. Got the egg steady at 225 for about an hour, put the meet on and tried hard to fight the temptation to bump the temp up after putting cold meat on. Had the maverick wake me up at 6:30 to tell me one butt is done. Can't beat a full night sleep!

Forgot about pictures but I have a terrible one of the raw butts rubbed and about to go on. I don't want to here anyone ever say to me "get off the forum... I've never seen one of your cooks.... You suck.... Bad!"

Those are the fat caps laying there on the pan. I tried something different and trimmed the fat cap off for more bark and folded it up and put it on top for maximum bark area. Seemed to work good so far. Will post more pics if I remember to take them.
Dunedin, FL

Comments