Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High-q grate safety question

Options
Did ribs yesterday and still had a lot of lump left after a 5 hour cook. Stirred everything around and added some new lump before doing salmon tonite. Enough lump falls through the bigger spaces in the High Q that that I got a pretty good glow going underneath the grate?. Whatya think - is that safe or a problem in the making?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have a glow regardless of my factory grate or my high que.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Thank you Chubbs.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i get that on my XL when i do pizza hasn't been a issue 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Yeah, I have 2 Hi-ques, and they do let larger lump pieces thru.  And I have been concerned that the amount of embers below mite be a problem.  Being that the eggs are on my deck, 20' above ground, I put them on concrete pavers.  Just wish that the  Hique grates "set" or nested in the egg better, they tend to roll or tip over when I am cleaning.  Maybe if I grind a flat on the OD, might help.

Hafta say, haven't had a problem with the embers, tho.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Running a large here and no problems

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.