Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking my first brisket tomorrow

Options
mrbkd
mrbkd Posts: 2

Here's my plan, let me know if I'm on the right track. I bought a 7 pound brisket from Costco. It's the biggest piece they had and it works since I have a small crowd to cook for. I'm shooting to serve about 5:00pm. I'm going to season my meat tonight and put it back in the fridge. I'm going to light my xlbge about 6:00am and get my meat on at 7:00 with a dome temp of about 275. I figure my meat should be ready to come off and wrap at about 3:00pm. I'll wrap it an let it rest for two hours and we eat at 5:00pm.

I'm I on track here?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    It will take less time if anything. You can FTC for 5 hours easy peasy
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Is it a Packer Brisket (point and flat) or just a flat?  Our Costco only sells flats and they are trimmed too much.  Packers are more forgiving since they have more fat on them. Be sure to monitor the internal temperature and take it off when a fork slides in like butter.  This usually happens at an internal temp of 190-205. 

When I cook one it usually takes between 1 and 1.5 hours/pound for a packer brisket of about 12-14 pounds.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • mrbkd
    mrbkd Posts: 2
    Options

It's a flat but it's still in the vacuum pack so it's not trimmed.  The ones in the case were trimmed way down.

Travis -  FTC? What's that?

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Foil-Towel-Cooler

Wrap in foil, wrap in towels and put in a cooler. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.