Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn on the cob suggestions

GQuiz
GQuiz Posts: 701
Want to cook some ears of corn with my chicken tonight. Any suggestions how to do it?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• I haven't done 'em on the Egg yet, but on lesser devices, I've used two methods:

(1) If you don't like a lot of blackening on your corn:  shuck 'em, butter, salt, and pepper 'em, wrap 'em in a moistened paper towel, and wrap 'em in foil.  Tends to steam the ears rather than grill them.

(2) Another way - and this is the way to do it if you like a little more color on the ears - is to peel back the husk, remove the silk, butter/salt/pepper, replace the husk, and cook them that way.

If you've got a multi-level system, I'd put the ears on a level above the chicken.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I shuck the cobs and then rub them in EVO, sprinkle S&P and some Lawreys Season Salt on them. Wrap in AF and put them on the EGG at 400, raised grill. Turn them a few times during a 30-40 minute cook. They come out tender and juicy.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I do them a couple of different ways.  Sous Vide husked with salt, pepper, and a small piece of butter at 182 degrees for an hour or hour and a half and then finish them up on the egg at about 400 degrees until each side is darkened a bit.  I also have husked them, salt, peppered, buttered, and then wrapped in foil and grilled about 7 minutes per side at about 400 degrees.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    shuck, soak, salt and pepper, butter, wrap in tin foil, 10 min per side. i also like to add limes if you have some limes. once you grill corn you will not go back
  • shuck, soak, salt and pepper, butter, wrap in tin foil, 10 min per side. i also like to add limes if you have some limes. once you grill corn you will not go back

How long soak, indirect or direct and at what temp?  Thanks!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I soak them and then drop them directly in the grill. Turn them as the husk darkens. When it starts to look burned they're done and you can shuck them. The silk comes off easy when they're done like that.

Have a condiment bar for fixing. Butter, salt, pepper, lawrys, Tony's, dizzy dust, swamp venom, mayo, Parmesan, chili powder, lime.

Flavor to taste. I don't cook corn any other way now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Shuck, clean, Evo, dizzy dust, tie the shuck back on and turn till a toothpick will decide. I go indirect.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    I have a family of very particular corn eaters, and I have won then over twice with early season corn done by husking to remove the silk and some leaves, but keep most of the leaves attached. Brush on evoo, and dust with koshar salt. Then use butcher string and tie leaves back around the corn. Cook raised direct between 300 and 400 for aprox 40 minutes.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Throw them on husked and naked direct until some kernels pop and you have a nice roasted color. Then brush with a butter lime cayne pepper, paprika and salt mixture a few minutes before taking them off and after you take them off.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    tamu2009 said:
    I soak them and then drop them directly in the grill. Turn them as the husk darkens. When it starts to look burned they're done and you can shuck them. The silk comes off easy when they're done like that. Have a condiment bar for fixing. Butter, salt, pepper, lawrys, Tony's, dizzy dust, swamp venom, mayo, Parmesan, chili powder, lime. Flavor to taste. I don't cook corn any other way now.
    +1 except I don't even soak them.  Throw them on just like they are.  After cooking, when ready to husk, slice off the bigger end (away from the silk) Hold the skinny end (may need a pot holder) and squeeze the ear out.  It will come out clean with no silk.  Season and eat.
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    +1 as Tjcoley. Very easy.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • ChadH
    ChadH Posts: 10
    I'm a fan of either butter and chili powder or butter and Old Bay.  I also wrap them in foil to cook.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I husk and desilk, don't soak, just throw them in raised direct and remove when they have some color; I don't add anything until they're on the table.  

I do want to try Tjcoley's method, however!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    I followed this recipe last weekend....and it was incredible!!  Corn in a butter baste!!!

• @cheech5001: looks amazing!  definitely trying that next time.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    tamu2009 said:
    I soak them and then drop them directly in the grill. Turn them as the husk darkens. When it starts to look burned they're done and you can shuck them. The silk comes off easy when they're done like that. Have a condiment bar for fixing. Butter, salt, pepper, lawrys, Tony's, dizzy dust, swamp venom, mayo, Parmesan, chili powder, lime. Flavor to taste. I don't cook corn any other way now.
    I agree.  Corn cooked with only a wet schuck for flavor then buttered after its cooked is the only way to go.  
  • cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102

@cheech5001: looks amazing!  definitely trying that next time.
    For sure you should- it was really the star of the meal!
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    I cooked some corn yesterday.  Had them soak a couple hours, peeled back husk, removed silk and then did my seasoning.  Seasoning consisted of coating corn in Hellman's Mayo, then applying my concocted seasonings blend (salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder). I cooked indirect at 300* for about 45-50 min, even time on each side.  Turned out great!  THe mayo is something my dad started doing a few years back.....while strange to think about it turns out great.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551

I did some last night for an avocado, tomato and corn side dish.  I shucked corn and brushed with melted butter, cooked raised direct at 375 for probably 25 min or so.  Make sure you turn every 4 min or so- i rotated when I started to get a little color on the corn.  I even threw in a small handful of the JD oak chips.  They turned out really well and the smoke made the dish really very good.   Definitely a winner...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Greensboro, NC