Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beginner Smoker - What's Easier Brisket or Pork?

tdub4
tdub4 Posts: 124
haven't tried a true smoker cook on the Egg yet and would like to this weekend. As a beginner - without DigiQ or a similar device - what would be your suggestion to give it a try? BTW, this is not for a scheduled party so I am ok to make a mistake (although I would prefer no to!). Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Pork Shoulder is way more forgiving....
    Large BGE

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Pulled pork is fool proof.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Pork is the way to go for a first low and slow
  • tdub4
    Thanks for the fast replies! Next question....any favorite recipes you can point me to? There are so many so thought I would see if you have a suggestion there as well.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This works for me. TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I did one yesterday using Chris Lilly's recipe...this is the 2nd time I've done it and my family loves it. I will post it as soon as I can find it.
  • tdub4
    Thanks Mickey. I was curious about the turbo vs the long cook. Seen a lot about turbo and I am open to it if that is the way to go, or would you recommend I learn the low and slow first? In other words, is there value in doing it the ole fashioned way or is there a shift to the turbo way - at least for the pork?
  • Here is the recipe for Chris Lilly's Pulled Pork...I did it Turbo and will never go back to the lo and slow for PP....

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    For the pork shoulder rub
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/3 cup garlic salt
    1/3 cup kosher salt
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon oregano leaves
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    -----------
    Pork injection
    3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire
    ------------
    1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)
    1 bottle Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (or substitute your favorite BBQ sauce)

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225°F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195°F.

• tdub4
    Thanks GoldfishDude. When you do turbo, do you follow Mikey's formula above? 350 for 3 hours to 160 internal, then foil to 190, etc? Is that standard for turbo?
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    PORK!!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Yes...the in the cooler (FTC)
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    I have done the turbo and they are really good. But imho, low and slow is best done low and slow. I think a lot of that is mental for me. I love the sense of pride in cooking something for anywhere from 12-20 hours and it coming out perfect. And I would definitely agree pork butt is the way to start. I did my first one with zero rub, seasoning, marinade or anything at all. I kind of assumed my first wouldn't turn out very well (I was wrong!) Even with nothing other than it's own flavors smoked in the Egg, it was awesome. Many more since with a basic rub similar to Byron's Butt Rub. Simple is fine with a pork butt.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • If you want low and slow, this is the recipe I used for my first cook on the Egg:

At the very least, you should read his advice about building and lighting a fire for a long cook.  Building up fires that way after your periodic clean-outs will, in my admittedly limited experience, mean your lump lasts a lot longer.

Also, if you're doing low & slow, you don't need a DigiQ/fan setup, but a Maverick ET-732 thermometer is pretty much a must, unless you want to stay up all night.  You can monitor the temps of the Egg at grid and the meat, and set alarms to tell you if your Egg temp is swinging too high/too low and when your meat hits your desired temp.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • tdub4
    Ok...after some reading this morning, I have a couple of more questions: 1) I have seen some discussion around removing/trimming the fat cap. Should I leave some of that on or do I trim it off entirely. I was under the impression some of that melts and provides some juice/flavor. 2) which side goes down on the grill? 3) once you do your rub and injection, do you put it in the fridge overnight? 4) lastly, if it gets done early before it is time to eat, what is the best way to "keep" it?
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    edited May 2013
    You will get varying answers on this but I leave the fat cap on and have it face up. My theory is it does provide good flavor. Some will take it off so that you don't lose any bark. If I have time, I will rub the night before. I have also done it only a few hours before. Both are fine. When it is done, you will want it to rest in foil for at least one hour if not more. So if it is done early, wrap it in foil, then wrap it in towels, and then stick it in a preheated cooler. (FTC) It will stay hot for many hours until you are ready to pull.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN