Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone used "The Baking Steel?"

Options
13»

Comments

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options

I have a related but unrelated question.  In order to justify this to my better half I want to find a need for my existing 14" BGE cooking stone.  Does anyone know if this stone will work as a bottom level indirect shield for the AR?

What I am really asking is can it replace the stone that comes with the AR?  If I can save a few bucks on that purchase it may make this one that much easier....

Back on topic, regarding Steel diameter, I Egg a fair number of Papa Murphy's pizzas on weeknights for quick family dinners.  The Pappa Murphy pizzas are just slightly bigger than the BGE stone which requires me to roll the edges of the pizza to reduce the diameter. 

Ideally I would like to get a Cooking steel that is slightly bigger.  If I get bigger (say 15" or 16") do I need to worry about potential damage due to the heat being deflected closer to the inside wall of my egg? 

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I would be interested.  I have a ship to address in Buffalo so shipping would be easy.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Talked to Andris this morning from "The Baking Steel" He is going to work out the numbers for the group buy and get back to me by tomorrow.

He mentioned that the Canada orders right now are a $15 flat shipping fee and something about a tariff? He said he is trying to figure out a cheaper way to do it and is putting the full court press on it but said it probably will be a couple of weeks before he knows anything for sure.

The one thing he mentioned was that he would like to get all the orders at once so he can be most efficient with the steel as possible, this ultimately will save us and him money.

Anyone else wanna jump on board?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    yumdinger said:

I have a related but unrelated question.  In order to justify this to my better half I want to find a need for my existing 14" BGE cooking stone.  Does anyone know if this stone will work as a bottom level indirect shield for the AR?

What I am really asking is can it replace the stone that comes with the AR?  If I can save a few bucks on that purchase it may make this one that much easier....

Back on topic, regarding Steel diameter, I Egg a fair number of Papa Murphy's pizzas on weeknights for quick family dinners.  The Pappa Murphy pizzas are just slightly bigger than the BGE stone which requires me to roll the edges of the pizza to reduce the diameter. 

Ideally I would like to get a Cooking steel that is slightly bigger.  If I get bigger (say 15" or 16") do I need to worry about potential damage due to the heat being deflected closer to the inside wall of my egg? 

I've used the 14" stone on the spider for higher heat indirect cooks like wings.  Gets kind of tough to maintain low and slow temps with it, but I have done it.  

No worries on damage.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    edited April 2013
    Options

Do you think the difficulty with low and slow is because the air movement is restricted due to larger diameter of the baking stone? or because it is thinner that the PS?

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013
    Options

Restriction of air.  It gets pretty tight, like maybe 3/4" gap. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Why not just put the steel on a raised direct AR setup?  I do that with my stone and have really good results.

I know there are a thousand ways to get the job done, but I wanted to see if there was something fundamental I was missing about the raised direct route?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    Talked to Andris this morning from "The Baking Steel" He is going to work out the numbers for the group buy and get back to me by tomorrow.

He mentioned that the Canada orders right now are a $15 flat shipping fee and something about a tariff? He said he is trying to figure out a cheaper way to do it and is putting the full court press on it but said it probably will be a couple of weeks before he knows anything for sure.

The one thing he mentioned was that he would like to get all the orders at once so he can be most efficient with the steel as possible, this ultimately will save us and him money.

Anyone else wanna jump on board?
    Thanks for moving this forward Fletcher.  I'm been a bit busy lately.  Is the group order you mention for the regular round or the round with a rim that I had approached him about?  

I haven't heard back from him yet regarding the version with the rim.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Keeping track to see how this goes. Sounds interesting.
    Seattle, WA
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    edited April 2013
    Options
    OK post here if you are interested in the Baking Steel with a rim and I will let Andris know.

Right now we  may have 3:

Jimreed777
    fletcherfam
    youenjoymyegg

Preferred size?  16"?  15"?  
    I don't how about asking a grown man, "How much would you charge for a rim job?"

:-&
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I prefer syrup.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I would love a 16" if it isn't too late, with the lip. 1/2"
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • stillsmokinokie
    Options
    I'm interested in a steel with a rim for my XL