Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Base Dealing With It...

hapster
hapster Posts: 7,503
I just sent an email to the Mothership about the crack in my base and how to go about getting it replaced. I would like to go with a different vendor than where I purchased it. I want the vendor to do the install and make sure the rest of my egg is in good shape and assembled correctly. I know that it would be at my cost of have that done with my warranty part, but it would be faster and I'd feel better...

Here is the crack in question... been cooking with it for a while, staying below 500. Just starting to get a little nervous of a failure; plus I want to have it ready to go so I am not down for too long.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Hap, I have zero experience with cracked egg, hope to never, but that would scare me!!

I'm with you on wanting to avoid down time.

XLBGE 
  • TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35

Cannot help with the Q here at all, but had to comment that you should refer to 9 posts down about a great idea of what to do with the cracked egg once the new one comes.

• MrCookingNurse
    edited May 2013
    Yea hope they let you keep it if you want it

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Good luck Hap- I'm sure it will get taken care of.  Should not be any problem to go to a different vendor.  Unless something has changed, the warranty states you can go to any authorized dealer to process a claim.  Wouldn't hurt to let the vendor know you will be buying a second egg soon...might get you a break on the re-assembly.  I'm not sure if you have mentioned buying a second egg...but we all know you will ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    You might get "free" help if you let them set up your second egg at the same time.

Makes sense to me ;)

XLBGE 
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Don't be nervous about a failure hapster, if it sitting in the nest there is no where for it to go. The nest will hold the bottom and the band at the top will keep it togther. I just look at the photo again, I can see it is in the nest. My XL has been cracked for some time now and it just keeps on cooking. I  picked up a used one, she has no mothership. :((
  • hapster
    Ellis said:
    Don't be nervous about a failure hapster, if it sitting in the nest there is no where for it to go. The nest will hold the bottom and the band at the top will keep it togther. I just look at the photo again, I can see it is in the nest. My XL has been cracked for some time now and it just keeps on cooking. I  picked up a used one, she has no mothership. :((
    Thanks... I was thinking the same thing; but figured I had better get the ball rolling at least... plus trying to work the second egg in during that time as well. We'll see if my wife falls(allows) it LOL
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @hapster wood burners eggfest is coming up they may be more than willing to help you 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    its one bolt/ nut that needs loosening and tightening
    :D buy me a flight and feed me
    :)) this is simple
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I know this happened awhile back, but my main concern is the deck its on. If the base lets loose, all hell will be breakin loose as well.

Stay safe bud.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I just changed out the base on my XL last weekend. It had been cracked for about a month and half. It stayed quite stable until I took it out of the nest then the crack traveled quite a bit. You should be ok until you get a new one. I just helped the G men hoist the busted one into the truck this morning.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Because of this post and several others, I inspected MY base.....only to find a crack on the bottom.After this, the only ceramic component that hasn't been replaced on my large is the cap. I am dreading dealing with it. Sucks.image
    image.jpg 1009.8K
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Hap - Glad you're working on a replacement base. It doesn't pay to wait when a failure could be devastating. On to happier things...

The new issue of Eggin' With Edward just hit my inbox. I can't wait to get to a computer so I can see your pix!
    Flint, Michigan
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Sorry to see that Hap, if you need a hand with the swap out I'm down the road in Delco.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • hapster
    Thanks @J_Que... hopefully I won't have too many issues; but I will keep your offer in mind :)

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    My large has had a crack very similar to that one for about a year and a half.  I need to get to my dealer and get another one coming.  I've done many pizza's, t-rex, etc with it that way and mine is free standing in a stainless table.  With yours being contained by a nest I really don't see how it could get much worse.  I do agree it needs to be fixed though.  I'm going to consider putting my Rutland on the dome next time.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • hapster
    Its good to know that others have other cracks like this with no disasters as of yet...

Still no word from the mothership after a "hey we got your message" email on Saturday. A little surprised at that...
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    FWIW, don't think I would repair the crack ( if I'm reading right ), The crack prob resulted from dissimilar pressure / expansion of the ceramic, and a repair might not deal with the basic problem. 

Just saying, I Q on a deck, and any bottom failure just scares the ^%^ out of me.... ( plus the lost great food ), lol.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • hapster
    I will not be attempting any repairs... will replace. If they ever get back to me. (drumming fingers)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Over the years I have seen many reports that the mothership is not the best at responding to emails.  You may want to give them a call.  I know...that is so 1985 :P.  You might also just want to get in touch with the dealer that you want to handle your warranty claim.  

10. WARRANTY CLAIM PROCEDURE: A valid proof of purchase receipt from an Authorized Dealer will be required to make a Warranty claim. For Warranty support, contact the Authorized Dealer from which the item was purchased.

You may contact any Authorized Dealer if the EGG was purchased within the United States. For EGGs purchased in countries outside the United States, Warranty claims are handled by an Authorized Dealer or Distributor in the country of purchase.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Been using my cracked mini base even though it has been replaced. Figure why not, then I can swap out.
    Seattle, WA
  • hapster
    SkinnyV said:

Been using my cracked mini base even though it has been replaced. Figure why not, then I can swap out.

Though if the mini fails while lit you can pick the whole thing up and hurl it off the deck... I might have bit of a challenge doing that with my large LOL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    hapster said:

SkinnyV said:

Though if the mini fails while lit you can pick the whole thing up and hurl it off the deck... I might have bit of a challenge doing that with my large LOL
    Time to hit the gym.

No pain no gain!
  • hapster

hapster said:

SkinnyV said:

Time to hit the gym.

No pain no gain!
    :))

The weight and throw wouldn't be a real issue; the heat of the ceramic would be the issue if I grabbing it while wearing a tank top. :)
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Just noticed this one yesterday. Contacted my dealer and emailed pictures this morning.
    Mark Annville, PA