Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Options for Indirect Cooking without a stone/place setter

Options

I recently purchased a LBGE and haven't purchased my Adjustable Rig (planning on doing so next week).  I want to cook something slow but I am not sure if there are any options of putting something in to deflect the heat until I get the Adjustable RIG with the indirect stone.  I have found that some have used bricks but wasn't sure if this would cause any issues or if there is better solution.  With the holiday weekend coming up I would like to use the grill (haven't cooked anything on it @ this point :( ..).

Thanks and love the forum,

Joe

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    I used welding wire and tied an aluminum pie plate to the grid once. It worked great.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    pan or bricks or anything that doesnt burn up will work for an indirect setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    4 or 5 split firebricks plus one 18" weber replacement grate - total ~$20.
    Mamaroneck
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    My setup is exactly te same as Mama Roneck...have done pork shoulders, brisket and ribs.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think there is any issue with using fire bricks.  Another option is to get a pizza stone (you will need one anyway) and then just find some way to make a raised grid over the pizza stone.  Depending on what you are cooking, another option is to just use a V-rack inside of a pan (foil pan, or real pan).  If you are worried about drippings burning you can use 2 foil pans with some foil ball spacers in between. 

Bottom up:
    Foil pan
    4 small balls of foil in each corner
    foil pan #2
    v-rack in pan
    meat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jomedusa
    jomedusa Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Options

I am interested in the fire bricks but I am not sure where to get them in my area, I have called a few of the places I would think would have them but no luck.  Any suggestions on why types of places I should check with?

• jomedusa
    jomedusa Posts: 4
    Options

I am interested in the fire bricks but I am not sure where to get them in my area, I have called a few of the places I would think would have them but no luck.  Any suggestions on why types of places I should check with?

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Get a Kamado Joe heat deflector and thank me later.
    Duncan, SC
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I got mine from Ace Hardware, had to wait for delivery to store. I've heard that some HD or Lowe's may stock...other building supply?
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    Found mine at a stone yard/landscape supply place. The come in full and split sizes and cost about a dollar each, even in NY!
    Mamaroneck
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Tractor Supply Company carries them for $3 a piece if you have one of those near you.  

I have noticed one of the stone/landscaping yards near me sells them so you might try a few places like that.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Methinks, either way, you're gonna end up wanting / getting a ss drip pan, which can also serve as an indirect break.  BUT best if drip pan is set on ceramic stone, with spacers, to limit the burning of the fats / grease and tainting the food
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @jomedusa: I place a weber grid on the fire ring, then 2 bricks wrapped in foil, laid on their sides. Then place a clay saucer from the gardening section from Lowes/HD also wrapped in foil between the bricks. Set the BGE grid on top and you're good to go.

You don't need the fire bricks, regular bricks work well too. Fire bricks are probably a better choice though if you can get them. A full firebrick should be about $1-2 dollars at a brickyard. You can also get splits in a box from doitbest.com with free shopping to participating stores.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Don't know about the clay pot saucers, just sayin that we don't know whats in them.  Aluminum foil works, and, in a pinch have used ceramic tiles ( kitch / bath ), they are hard fired to very high temp, and prob. don't contain nasties....
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @cookinfun: by that reasoning you don't quite know what's in the kitchen/bath tiles or bricks either. Glazes have some pretty interesting stuff in them, and I don't know how they do with repeated exposure to high temps. 

But you sort of raise a good point. I don't cook with clay pottery made in China. I try to find pots that are made in Italy, since they seem to be of higher quality than the China or USA made ones. I made a tandoor out of a big clay pot 5 years ago, and have used the clay saucers for 1-2 years. Still able to walk straight and do math :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.