Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggware vent cap

Hi all...I have a question, hoping someone can answer.  I read about favorable reviews on the stainless Eggware vent cap on this forum. Bought two for the Lg eggs.  Ok, the instrustions say to install the supplied gasket (felt) on the neck, and it will nestle the cap assembly.  Being that I have toasted two felt gaskets before I went with Rutland, and then somewhat toasted Rutland on hi-temp cleanouts, I am questioning the use of the felt, especially at the exhaust vent.

Methinks I should use the Rutland for the new cap also, anyone have comments??
Also, the new vent cap is adjustable for full temperature range of cooks, but is it tight enough for shutdown?  I think I have read that it was..

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
(2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)

Comments

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I used the wool felt gasket that was in the box. Works great after a dozen cooks. Yes the vent closes tight enough to shut down the BGE.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The felt won't have issue with transmitted heat. Go ahead with it. Mine has performed great.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I would not be concerned using a felt gasket use on the top vent.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited May 2013
    I have spoken with the owner of Eggware on this because he was getting reports of the supplied felt gaskets breaking down. Personally, I have not had an issue with the supplied gasket after several high temp cooks. I am pretty sure he is kicking around the idea of going to a high temp gasket. Check with him by email or a phone call, he is very responsive to customers. 
    Also, it works just fine for shutdowns and it is a top notch product. It should be standard on all BGE's in my opinion.

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Many Thanks all...appreciate your advise.  I'll call Eggware tomorrow, but I'll install the felt and let the good times ( cooks ) roll.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I received a replacement gasket for my small and used the leftover around the vent if the large. Eggware cap fits snugly and the product itself is stellar. Shuts down nicely.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Sorry for misleading info all...I believe I have extra Nomex gasket...got confused, as usual.  Because I periodically do a "cleanout" hi-temp cook maybe I'll put on the Nomex.  The cleanout cooks reach 700+ F , and methinks the outlet is at least that temp.
  • I've been using an Eggware cap for about a month and haven't had any issues with the gasket. I've had plenty of really hot cooks on it and used it all day Saturday at our EGGfest. I've really enjoyed using the cap and now prefer it over the stock cast cap.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Since the gasket is only in contact with the outside of the ceramic, I wouldn't expect it will be a big problem. It's only gonna get as hot as the external temp of the egg.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Sorry to squat on your thread… But does this allow you to egg in the rain?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    r270ba said:
    Sorry to squat on your thread… But does this allow you to egg in the rain?
    Yes.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Sweet just bought one.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I egg in the rain anyway
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    I put in gasket on the inside of the vent vise on the egg... I have not had any issues even during a burnout...