Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook with HiQue Grate

2»

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    tazcrash said:
    Found mine on Amazon, and as a prime member, no shipping! ;)

@tazcrash How did you pick it up if they don't ship? Sorry was just too easy and had to say something there
    :D
    bbqlearner 

>:P
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Just ordered mine, should be here on the 21st

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Thanks for the tutorial! I'll add it to my wish list!
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    tazcrash said:
    tazcrash said:
    Found mine on Amazon, and as a prime member, no shipping! ;)

@tazcrash How did you pick it up if they don't ship? Sorry was just too easy and had to say something there
    :D
    bbqlearner 

>:P
    I apologize.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013

:))

IMHO, next to my AR and thermapen, its a most needed accessory, actually ahead of my beloved AR. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    With the High Que, is controlling low and slow temps harder? What has everyone's experience been? I would assume temps would respond with a much higher fluctuation to a vent adjustment but given the response of everyone here, that doesn't seem to be an issue.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    dpittard said:
    With the High Que, is controlling low and slow temps harder? What has everyone's experience been? I would assume temps would respond with a much higher fluctuation to a vent adjustment but given the response of everyone here, that doesn't seem to be an issue.
    I had no issue controlling temps. I found that I would have to close the top and bottom vents a little more than with the standard grate.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    dpittard said:

To the contrary, the Hi q does better while going low and slow. When doing low and slow, because of reduced air flow, the ash just stays up with the original grate and cuts air flow, eventually with unstable temps.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
     I am assuming that most of the users of this product have a large BGE?  Do you think it would help an XL?-

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have a large and echo everyone on this. High temps are hit faster and low temps are easier stabilized

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    QDude said:

I am assuming that most of the users of this product have a large BGE?  Do you think it would help an XL?-

I wonder if they make them for an XL?

XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Anyone know if high cue ships to Canada and how much shipping would cost?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    jccbone62 said:
    I wonder if they make them for an XL?

They don't, and neither do I.  There's just way too much stainless for it to be marketable.....nearly 4x the amount as in a large grate.  I would have to charge well over $100 to cover the materials, waste, and cutting material--and there's no guarantee it wouldn't warp.  18" is a long span, especially at 1000F+ with up to 15 lbs of charcoal sitting on it.  Plus, shipping would be at least 3x over the current $5-6 it costs me standard size shipping material.

Best option, get a Weber grate from Home Depot / Lowes for $8.97 and just replace it every few years, or as needed.  If you need it crossed hatched, just buy two and rotate one 90 degrees.  Cheap, easy, and readily available.

• Wchapman74
    Wchapman74 Posts: 52
    I just ordered 2 from Amazon.
    1 for my large and 1 for my medium.
    can't wait to try them, I'm hoping this cures the poor performace of my medium.
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Received mine in time to cook a total of 12 chicken breasts. Came up to to temp much faster and temps were easy to maintain.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited May 2013
    I'll put in a plug for a product I'm in the middle of reviewing at the moment.  Michael's Custom Grill Works makes a fire grate for the XL that he charges $75 for.  SS, 1/4" rod.  Google it if you are interested.  His web site doesn't have all his products on it, but if you email him, he'll get back to you with what he has.  He can make fire grates and cooking grates for all sizes of BGE's.So far, I've been really happy with the 15" medium grate that I'm playing with.
    The Naked Whiz
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248

I'll put in a plug for a product I'm in the middle of reviewing at the moment.  Michael's Custom Grill Works makes a fire grate for the XL that he charges $75 for.  SS, 1/4" rod.  Google it if you are interested.  His web site doesn't have all his products on it, but if you email him, he'll get back to you with what he has.  He can make fire grates and cooking grates for all sizes of BGE's.So far, I've been really happy with the 15" medium grate that I'm playing with.

Thanks Whiz. Sounds promising and I will have to look into this.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    jccbone62 said:
    Thanks Whiz. Sounds promising and I will have to look into this.

A Large BGE cooking grate is about the same size as a XL BGE fire grate, so they're probably interchangeable.

If he's making them custom, it would be nice if they were cross-hatched so that long piece of lump didn't slide through.  I might get one for a cooking grate......mine is about shot.

• jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88

Just ordered from Canadian distributor, should have tomorrow

Warned me not to stir the bottom as I will lose smaller charcoal pieces.  He said I will be amazed at how much more quickly it fires up

• SmokyArkie
    SmokyArkie Posts: 65
    I love this grate! Most of the time I reverse sear our steaks and this grate allows me to jump from 220 to 450 very quickly. It also helps in long cooks with no more temp drops due to ashes clogging those little holes.