Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Day yesterday (prob too many Picts!)

Have my husband's aunt in town to meet our 4 month old baby. We were planning pizza on the Egg for dinner, but our daytime plan got spoiled by rain. Since we conveniently got a giant patio umbrella (primary reason to be able to egg in the rain), I thought... How about trying some wings for lunch? And so... Yesterday turned into our first double cook, double calorie and double fun day.

I had read about many approaches to wings and we like them with extra crispy skin, so decided to try raised direct. Cooked at 300 for about 45 minutes then bumped up to 350. Flipped half way through. Made mostly hot wings but some teriyaki for the aunt who doesn't eat spicy food (ugh).

imageimageimageimage

Next up was the New York style pizza. Fell in love with this dough and sauce recipe a few months ago and haven't been tempted to experiment since. Again, love a crispy pizza. Defrosted some leftover pulled pork from a previous BGE cook and made a pulled pork and broccoli rabe pizza

Then cooked up an eggplant and caramelized onion (fan favorite, surprisingly)

Finished up with a cheese pizza

imageimage

Comments

• jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Very nice cook. Did you dust ur wing's to help get them crispy? Also what pizza recipe did you use? Lastly you can never have to many pics. Nicely done!
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    There can never be enough pics... :)

Really good looking cook you have here. I can the crunch of the pizza crust from here!

Well done!
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    @jccbone62 I did put some rub on the wings the dusted with cornstarch. Would have let them air o
  • Jamieoro
    Oops. Meant to say, Would have let then air out longer in fridge if we had planned for the cook.
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Thanks. I've always wondered if the cornstarch leaves any after taste. I guest I will have to give it a try
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • I'm interested in undertanding what is meant by 'raised' direct. I do understand the concept of direct and indirect! When I bought my XL the very good sales guy persuaded me to also buy an accessory that allows me to situate a smaller grate above the larger one that sits on top of the fire box. Does that constitute 'raised'? Thanks for your help.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Jamieoro everything looks great.  Would be interested in pizza dough recipe as well.

@Nicholas_Wetton Anyway that you have a grid higher in the grill then the original height intended without a indirect piece it is raised direct.  Very useful for cooks like wings where it's easy to burn the skin before the chicken is cooked.  That smaller grate sounds like a raised direct setup to me.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wait... you have a lil 4mo AND STILL have time to put together such a spread?!?! Show off! :) Seriously though, very nice. Love your yard too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    caliking said:
    Wait... you have a lil 4mo AND STILL have time to put together such a spread?!?! Show off! :) Seriously though, very nice. Love your yard too.
    you didn't notice the large wine glass in the back did you?

great looking cook!  keep them coming you knocked this one out of the park
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Jamie, where are you located? That bamboo looks awfully familiar.
  • Jamieoro
    @Nicholas_Wetton- raised direct is a direct cook with the grate raised up. I did it mainly to avoid flare ups and burnt skin. Just before we got our egg, we built a firepit in our yard and had some extra firebricks, so we use 3. Of those to raise up the grate. Works perfectly, but sounds like with your setup, if you cook on the smaller grate, it would be raised direct @scottborasjr- here's the recipe. I use the King Arthur bread flour. Ingredients Flour, all purpose or bread, 28 oz (6.5 cups of King Arthur Brand or 6 cups of Gold Medal brand; see note) Water, 17.4 oz (cool to room temp) (a little less than 2¼ cups) Instant dry yeast, 1 teaspoon Salt, 2.5 teaspoons Olive oil, 3 teaspoons Instructions Place water in mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix salt and yeast into flour Combine flour/salt/yeast mixture into water and mix until all the flour has been incorporated. After flour has been totally incorporated, add oil and knead for about 4 to 5 minutes (see note) Test final dough temperature, which should ideally be between high 70s to low 80s (optional) Divide dough into 4 equal pieces (using a digital scale if possible; each ball should weigh 11.5 oz) and place in sealed quart-sized container or freezer bag and refrigerate overnight or up to 72 hours (After much experimenting, I have concluded that I like 3 days best). The following day, remove your dough balls within 1 or 2 hours of baking and allow the dough to come to room temperature. (the dough will tend to blister more if the dough has not been allowed to come to room temperature) In the meantime, place your pizza stone in oven and preheat at 550 degrees (depending on thickness of your stone and your oven’s power) for at least 1 hour Open each dough ball using care not to degas, transfer to a pre-floured pizza peel (or on parchment paper), and top with your favorite sauce, cheese, or other toppings. Transfer pizza from peel to oven or slide parchment paper onto preheated pizza pan/stone and bake for 4 to 6 minutes each until browned on top and cheese has melted but not burned. Enjoy! Notes Weighing the flour is *highly* recommended. Using a cup to measure will typically yield inaccurate results, plus different flour brands have different weights If you want to use the dough the next day, knead a little more (slow speed for about 8 to 10 minutes) or if you have time to let the dough rest for 3 days, knead for 4 to 5 minutes, low speed or hand knead. @eggcelsior - I'm in Northern Virginia, outside DC. Are we neighbors? Oddly, bamboo everywhere!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Jamie,

I'm in Frederick, Md. Most of my family is from the Rockville area. Your yard looks just like my grandparents backyard.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Don't hold back on us...more pics!

Great looking food!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • @jamieoro:  Great cook!

We're in NoVA, too (and have a little one, too - three months old), and I also thought that backyard looked familiar - like my father-in-law's.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    As others have already said... no way to have too many pictures of such delicious looking food!

Great idea to used leftover pulled pork as a pizza topping... I'll have to remember that for future.

Hope your husband's aunt enjoyed her visit.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014