Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs Help

Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
I put six racks of baby backs on my LBGE about 20 minutes ago. The temp was a bit high (about 390°) when I added the water pan and the ribs. Of course adding that much mass dropped the temp and it is still at 185° 20 minutes later. Should I be worried?

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I would ditch the water pan. Really no need for it on the egg. Water boils at 212 so if you are cooking hotter than that you are just creating a cool spot where you pan is. Your temp would prolly come back up once the water pan is gone.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    I hope that didn't sound like a smart a$$. Not my intention at all

analyze adapt overcome

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited May 2013
    Ditch the water pan...not required.Some spacers to separate drip pan (empty) and indirect piece such as tin foil or plumbing tee's.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Completely agree with @Mattman3969 only time I put a pan with liquid in the egg is when I put a little apple cider vinegar and in my drip pan when doing pulled pork or ribs if I want to get a little tartness on the meat.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Parallel
    edited May 2013
    I hope that didn't sound like a smart a$$. Not my intention at all
    Not at all, in fact your advise seems to be the consensus.

I'm at 225° and climbing but I need to open her up to get the temp up as it would be a REAL pain to get the water pan off with 12 half racks piled into the thing. I'll know better next time.

• Parallel
    Well... it wasn't a fail per se as the ribs were done enough to be safe to eat and were quite tasty, but they could have went another half hour easily. For one thing I don't think I'll try piling in that many ribs until I figure out a better way to do so.

I'm going to heat up the leftovers (two and half racks) at 325° and then glaze them, hopefully they'll be nice and tender the way I like them.

• Mattman3969
    Glad they turned out for you!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Hopefully the reheated ribs taste as good as you want them to.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.