Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-- Shelving Help-- OT

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
I need to make some shelving on my porch for my every growing pile of accessories. Anyone have any ideas for how I could secure wooden shelves between vinyl and brick? For those who are visual, I can hopefully attach a pic of the space I need the shelving later on. 
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Chubbs, I am having the same problem.  Excited to see what you do.

XLBGE 
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Post a pic and I might be able to help ya out
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If i could see pics I could give you some ideas.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    For the money you can't beat the metal roll around shelves that restaurants use in their walkin boxes.  They are sold at the big box stores for about a hundred bucks.  They are all metal, fully adjustable, four shelf sets and will support about anything you put in them.  
  • Chubbs
    Will post pics later. Tuna, don't have the room. Narrow space. Just some dead space I would like to take advantage of. Want to put chair cushions there so dog doesn't sit on them, then accessories, lump, and a rolling cart that will hold assessories and be a mobile work space. I already have the granite for this cart.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    picture woul help but on the brick you could use concrete screws.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djotP-sR4mU
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tapcons

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    Tapcons
    +1, just make sure you have the right bit to drill the pilot hole. 
    Personally I'd rather use plugs in the motar. Easier to patch\repair.  (this comment has caused much back patio debate amongst the in-laws, that I fed with more beverages. ;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I used tapcons to mount my TV cabinet to the back of my brick fireplace and it isn't coming down anytime soon.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Here's how I mounted my tv box. Used anchors and then washer and nuted them to the anchor.

Very sturdy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013
    They sell driver kits for them. We use a lot of them. There is an arbor with a drill in the end and a sleeve that fits over to drive the screw in. There are three different sized bits and three sockets as well as the Phillips bits that fit in the arbor. You just need one drill. They won't drill or drive properly without the drill hammering.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    I am less concerned with concrete as I am the vinyl surrounding my laundry room that the other side of the shelves would have to be attached too. I will post a pic tonight. One side of shelf in vinyl and the other side in brick. 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    You can cut the vinyl to sit around the shelve and silicone the edge. Depending on the set up
  • henapple
    Instead of attaching the shelf to the wall you could install 2x4 runners and then the shelves. Canegger has the idea. If you lived close I'd swing by and help.
  • Chubbs
    Here is a phone pic. Sort of see. Previous owner made a laundry room off of den. The vinyl is the wall of that. The brick you see is the back side if my fireplace that is on my porch. Thanks for suggestions. Why do phone pics come in sideways?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    Drill a small hole in the vinyl and then anchor to whatever the vinyl is covering. I'm guessing plywood. Try to hit a stud. On the brick side, do as others has said and use tapcons. Drill bit normally comes with them.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Do not drill anything through vinyl. Put brackets on the brick wall opposite the vinyl wall and mount a shelf. L brackets and a piece of shelving and you are done.
    Duncan, SC
  • henapple
    My first thought is to build a system and set it in the slot. A few L brackets will hold it secure attached to the brick.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    stack your lump there!

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs

stack your lump there!

I am going to have a thin rolling cart with a granite top that will store accessories and double as a work station then want shelves above it. One to hold chair cushions and one to hold egg stuff, lump, etc.