Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Baking Steel - Use on level ground - Pizza Fail

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Cowdogs: I think you are on to something. I tried some experiments with making naan on  steel - not the Baking Steel, but my own homebrewed version. At higher temps 650°F+ on the dome, i think heat transfer from the steel was too efficient and burned the bottom of the naan before the top could brown. when I cooled it down to about 500-550°F, it seemed to behave much better. One of the things I want to try is having the steel on top and the stone on the bottom, as you mentioned.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Interesting.  Maybe a stone directly on sand full to top in a wok and then the steel 2-3 inches above and cook very high?? 1000 degrees?

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    NEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 135
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    Interesting.  Maybe a stone directly on sand full to top in a wok and then the steel 2-3 inches above and cook very high?? 1000 degrees?

Thats essentially what they did with the baking steel here using some non-BGE equipment:
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Okay.  This is the next attempt.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    Okay.  This is the next attempt.
    If it works, then I will regret not buying the steel...  Keep us posted.  

The egg can make the right amount of heat to do the real thing, but getting a setup to to direct the heat evenly to the top and bottom is what's been challenging for me.