Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggware Stainless Steel Vent Cap @ http://eggware.net/

2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Chubby: I don't know if it is hard to take care of yet, since mine is not that old - I just don't like how the things works period.

@Aviator: No no - honestly, I bought this for its functionality... it doesn't hurt that its shiny though :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Only issue I see with the home depot rain cap over the daisy wheel is that you cannot really adjust the wheel anymore unless you have a HUGE rain cap. Using mine tonight for steaks and then a long burn for brisket 
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I got mine yesterday , haven't got to try it yet,looks to be well made !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109

Chubby  - I agree with you that the daisy wheel is easy to use and to care for (and it comes with the egg). I just used my vent for the first time tonight and it is as simple as the wheel - plus the bling. Now it is a bit expensive (one of the reasons I talked to them and asked about a discount) but you also have to consider it also replaces the ceramic cap (you cannot buy a wheel and cap for that price).  So if your wheel or cap breaks -- it would make this a much easier decision. 

Also, the instructions call for you adding a felt gasket to the chimney of the egg. I simply added it to the inside of the vent cap.  Seems to work well.  Off to put on the brisket (my PID died tonight so I may wait until the morning).             

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited May 2013
    I am using mine for the first time today on a brisket. I have not been able to maintain a temp below 300. I can deal with 300 but my bottom vent is almost completely shut and the top vent is as closed as I can get it. If I wanted to cook at 250, I would be in trouble. Have any of you had this issue? Also, how do you shut the Egg down. From what I can see, the new vent will not completely plug all three holes. Will post pics later.
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    Plano_JJ said:

I am using mine for the first time today on a brisket. I have not been able to maintain a temp below 300. I can deal with 300 but my bottom vent is almost completely shut and the top vent is as closed as I can get it. If I wanted to cook at 250, I would be in trouble. Have any of you had this issue? Also, how do you shut the Egg down. From what I can see, the new vent will not completely plug all three holes. Will post pics later.

I have used mine several times and maintained it under 230 degrees yesterday for a pork butt for over 12 hours. Everytime I close the new vent it shuts down the Egg as well as the ceramic cap. It is air tight. I love it.

Go Hogs Go
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I did a chicken with mine yesterday, had not problems hold 275.  I was also shut the egg with vent cap with no problem. 
    Check your gasket. Your mileage my vary.
    Plano_JJ said:

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Plano_JJ
    Interesting, no matter how I turn mine, the holes are never completely closed. Might have got one built on a Friday. Gasket is good, no issues until I put this thing on. I have emailed the guy who makes them.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    For those who have used it: Can you adjust it without gloves? I can nudge the DW easily, and I don't want to haul out the gloves every time I cook. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    jlsm said:
    For those who have used it: Can you adjust it without gloves? I can nudge the DW easily, and I don't want to haul out the gloves every time I cook. 

I had no problem adjusting it (there is a little tab that makes it easy to adjust) with my finger. It didn't get to hot and I have cooked on it and adjusted it, from 225 degrees to about 550 degrees.
    Go Hogs Go
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    That $10,000.00 "design and re-tooling" costs to make this gizmo wasn't enough???
  • egger ave
    That $10,000.00 "design and re-tooling" costs to make this gizmo wasn't enough???
    I suspect the issue is that egg size requires new tooling. Don't know for sure but I suspect large BGE's far out number mini, small and XL BGE's sold. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The easy way to solve that problem is make the vent one size, and make "neck" adaptors for each egg size.  For some reason, i don't do a heck of a lot of vent adjusting on any of my cooks.  My startup proceedure is wide open or no vent if i am in a hurry.  Then the rest of the time i am closed??  Now that i have my "method" i would hate to change to something else, especially since the vent is open or closed , in my case?
  • egger ave
    The easy way to solve that problem is make the vent one size, and make "neck" adaptors for each egg size.  For some reason, i don't do a heck of a lot of vent adjusting on any of my cooks.  My startup proceedure is wide open or no vent if i am in a hurry.  Then the rest of the time i am closed??  Now that i have my "method" i would hate to change to something else, especially since the vent is open or closed , in my case?
    I start my BGE with the vent wide open. I use the top vent to regulate the temp during the cook but don't change it very often.

Albert Einstein
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I suspect the issue is that egg size requires new tooling. Don't know for sure but I suspect large BGE's far out number mini, small and XL BGE's sold. 

It will work on a XL BGE......same chimney size as the Medium and Large.

As far as making one for the small and mini, I doubt you would ever sell enough to pay for the tooling cost.  I produce fire grates and a few other little BGE products.  I have sold 100+ fire grates for the Large, maybe a dozen on the medium, and less than a half dozen for the small.  It's no big deal for me to cut a medium grate down to a small with a grinder or plasma, but if I had make a tool to produce them one, I would have lost big money.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

It will work on a XL BGE......same chimney size as the Medium and Large.

As far as making one for the small and mini, I doubt you would ever sell enough to pay for the tooling cost.  I produce fire grates and a few other little BGE products.  I have sold 100+ fire grates for the Large, maybe a dozen on the medium, and less than a half dozen for the small.  It's no big deal for me to cut a medium grate down to a small with a grinder or plasma, but if I had make a tool to produce them one, I would have lost big money.

Do you make fire grates for the XL and if so what hole size do you use?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    dlk7 said:
    Do you make fire grates for the XL and if so what hole size do you use?

I use expanded stainless steel......9-gauge.  The XL is too large of a span without it being reinforced.  Besides it's 4x the metal and would be well over $100 by the time it shipped.

It's soooooo much easier to buy two 18" Weber cooking grates for $8.97 a piece at Home Depot / Lowes, then tack weld them together at a 90 degree angle.  Does the same job for a 1/5 of the cost.  I only use one grate because I have an unlimited supply of large lump charcoal, it's made it two years so far.  I might replace it since I have it apart for a gasket replacement.  A whole $9, rather than at least $50 just in materials.

• SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    I have been using my Eggware cap for about 2 weeks now, probably 5 or 6 cooks. Today, with a very stiff north wind of 25-30 mph I had the cap blow off my egg while smoking a salmon filet. Wasn't a huge problem since I heard it rattle around the deck, but I never had that happen with the DFMT.
    Rochester, MN  --- Large BGE
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    I used my new ss cap for the first time yesterday.  Worked great
  • Using my Eggware cap right now. Not really putting it to the test though. The wife and I are on an "eat healthier" kick so Turkey Burgers are on the grill tonight. No worries though. I plan on a low and slow butt all day tomorrow to test it out.

During tonight's cook I do get to try out my new beer hugger. Too bad it will be outdated next year and Ill have to buy another.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • Plano_JJ
    Love mine, I find it easier to make minute adjustments in temp.
  • egger ave
    Using my Eggware cap right now. Not really putting it to the test though. The wife and I are on an "eat healthier" kick so Turkey Burgers are on the grill tonight. No worries though. I plan on a low and slow butt all day tomorrow to test it out. During tonight's cook I do get to try out my new beer hugger. Too bad it will be outdated next year and Ill have to buy another.
    If you can convince SWMBO, Turkey burgers aren't any healthier that ground beef, lamb, chicken ... . Might as well eat 80/20 beef and enjoy it. No use suffering when it doesn't help. 

Albert Einstein
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Using my Eggware cap right now. Not really putting it to the test though. The wife and I are on an "eat healthier" kick so Turkey Burgers are on the grill tonight. No worries though. I plan on a low and slow butt all day tomorrow to test it out. During tonight's cook I do get to try out my new beer hugger. Too bad it will be outdated next year and Ill have to buy another.
    RTR !
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • egger ave said:

Using my Eggware cap right now. Not really putting it to the test though. The wife and I are on an "eat healthier" kick so Turkey Burgers are on the grill tonight. No worries though. I plan on a low and slow butt all day tomorrow to test it out.

During tonight's cook I do get to try out my new beer hugger. Too bad it will be outdated next year and Ill have to buy another.

If you can convince SWMBO, Turkey burgers aren't any healthier that ground beef, lamb, chicken ... . Might as well eat 80/20 beef and enjoy it. No use suffering when it doesn't help. 

I heard that it wasn't much better. The wife seems to think so though. Happy wife , happy life.... Right?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35
    edited May 2013