Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives

EGC71
EGC71 Posts: 29
Can anyone speak on the quality of J.A. Henckels knives? I saw a 10 piece block set at Costco yesterday and I'm thinking about purchasing it if it's worth the $160.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I wouldn't buy a set. There's really only a couple knives you need. A 8-10" chef knife and a petty knife will do 95% of any prep work. There are numerous threads on the forum if you check about what knives to get.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Henkels are OK but they have to be the two twin ones. The single twin are lousy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    All I use is a chefs knife, santoku, and occasionally a paring. A lot of chefs only use a chef. Learn to use the tip for fine cuts and the blade for chopping. A lot more efficient. Get a decent chef knife and save rest for food or lump
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I own a set of henckles pro s. I would never buy a set again. I only use two of them.

I'm in the middle of baking naan but when I'm finished I'll bore you with my philosophy on kitchen knives more fully.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I own a set of henckles pro s. I would never buy a set again. I only use two of them. I'm in the middle of baking naan but when I'm finished I'll bore you with my philosophy on kitchen knives more fully.
    Don't worry about it. We aren't really all that interested

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Agreed, my first set was Henckels. They were okay but I'll never buy a set again. Get the knives you need/want, and mix and match your brands for a diverse cooking experience. BTW, I much prefer my Wusthof to my Henckels as far as German steel....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Check out chefknivestogo.com and look at their forum.

Look at what you like to cook/chop to determine what to get.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Hecklels makes several grades of knives. The top of the line would be over $100 for one large knife. Their best are JA Zwilling or something llike that. Do yourself a favor and buy them individual as suggested.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I bought (as a sales rep) a set of Cutco 36 yrs ago.  I have sent just a couple of them back (just a few years ago) to put a new edge on them.  I had 2 serving utensils where the handles got broken and they replaced them.  They have a true lifetime warranty.  The bread slicer is still very sharp and that is one I have not had resharpened. I can still take a regular piece of wonder bread and slice it another 4 times without mangling the slice. I have not seen any other  knife able to do that... especially after 36 years of use.