Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket flat?

Options
anyone have any experience with just the flat, not the whole packer?  picked up a 8.5 lb flat today at costco just on a whim.  plan on cooking it for mother's day.  any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Comments

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Did a 7.5lb flat today. Did it "Travis Method". Turned out great. The juice helped keep it moist. Flats are tough to nail, but that is all I can find unless I go pay $8 per pound a butcher shop for a 12 lb packer... Search Travis method and follow that. Good luck!
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

Check out this post from earlier today-all great info and links.  Travis doesn't charge too much for advice

:)

Small Brisket Question Enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Others with a lot more experience then me will be along shortly but I'd just say to use your favorite beef rub, a few chunks of what ever smoking wood you prefer, 250* dome temp and be prepared for anywhere from a 10-16 hour ride.  If you enjoy libations, a nice bottle of bourbon would help with the procedure, if not whatever your favorite beverage is and plenty of it.  Also once it's done make sure you let it rest for at least 30 minutes tented with foil or wrapped in foil in a cooler for an hour or more before slicing so the juices can redistribute.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Oh and just my limited experience, and I've only done 4 briskets in a year and a half of egging, but I have found that briskets cook quicker than you think. My 7.5 lber was done today in about 7 hours cooked at 275-300. I had a 14 lb packer done in 9 hours once, cooked at 300. Cook to temp not time.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Nevermind what I said above, do the Travis method, It's a much simpler cook for one's first brisket.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.