Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump hoarding

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I'm down to 19 bags... Starting to get nervous. Do I have a problem?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• If that's less than a month supply, then no, I'd get nervous too.  If it's more than a month supply I'd like to know what else makes you nervous before I'd offer my opinion.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Haha I never keep that much on hand but plan on Doing it this winter, I ran out last year.

I keep around 5 bags and just by a bag or two when we by groceries. I'm making a place in my garage for a stock pile :)

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    The only thing I hoard is beer. I haven't ran out in a long long time.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Please step back from the trailer now
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    When I was using more briquets, I needed about 400lbs in the garage to feel comfortable, and not get the shakes or jitters. I had a similar stockpile when I bought a stash of Stubbs lump from Costco, but I returned it all because I ended up not liking it. I currently have about 50lbs of lump on hand but I am nervous as all heck.

The short answer: you're ok (sort of, normal is relative).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    I have no normal relatives...
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Currently on hand: 60 lbs Ozark Oak, 60 lbs or BGE, 60 lbs of Dragon Breath, 100 lbs of Wicked Good, 60 lbs of Royal Oak, and 50 lbs of Halls Hill hickory and pecan lump, and one 40 lb bag of Humphreys that is filled with really disappointing small pieces.

On order: 80 lbs of Rockwood charcoal from #stlcharcoal.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I feel lucky to live in North Alabama where it is easy to find year round.  I have 2 bags left from a big buy I did several months ago because it was buy 1 get 1 free.  That was the most that I had on hand at one time ever.  I do need to pick some up though.  I like to have several bags during tornado season in case we have a long term power outage.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I can get my top choice of lump year round from at least 10 deferent stores within 20 miles of my house. I buy 40lbs at a time.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @greenkawk if you find a deal like that again be sure to let me know. I'm just south of you in Cullman. What kind of lump was it?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I gotz 18lbs of RO, 5 bags of OO and 1 unopened WG. I am ok unless OO turns into to favorite. We will find out soon enough if I need to panic or not

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple

I can get my top choice of lump year round from at least 10 deferent stores within 20 miles of my house. I buy 40lbs at a time.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!

Travis, love ya but would you please change your avatar? It is scary.
  • henapple
    dlk7 said:

Currently on hand: 60 lbs Ozark Oak, 60 lbs or BGE, 60 lbs of Dragon Breath, 100 lbs of Wicked Good, 60 lbs of Royal Oak, and 50 lbs of Halls Hill hickory and pecan lump, and one 40 lb bag of Humphreys that is filled with really disappointing small pieces.

On order: 80 lbs of Rockwood charcoal from #stlcharcoal.

Water, food, ar-15, ammo and lump.. Prepper.... Oh, and beer.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Man, I have like 25 pounds.  I feel like a  L-)

I'm looking forward to you being near San Antonio because I want to be like the cool kids.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    shtgunal3 said:
    @greenkawk if you find a deal like that again be sure to let me know. I'm just south of you in Cullman. What kind of lump was it?
    It was BGE brand at Corum's Building Supply in Hartselle.  It was from a Decatur Daily Deals email I get every day or so.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • dlt
    dlt Posts: 14
    shtgunal3 and greenkawk-down the road in Morris AL, and would drive for a deal like that-
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Completely normal haha. I have about 300 lbs on hand. Also have about 100 lbs of wood chunks.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Don't hoard anything - too many military moves.  But I sure wish I could......I would go buy another bag.  20 is a good number
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    My Walmart is terrible but usually have 4-5 bags of RO. They run dry during the winter.

Tonight I was at Wally World and wanted to grab a few bags. While I was loading up the only 3 bags they had in my buggy one of the employees came up and asked if I needed anything. Told him I was good but was curious why they didn't stock more than a few bags. He pointed me to their new value brand an said man this is ten times better than kingsford and a whole lot cheaper :-??

I was about to explain to him my egg needs lump and he started trying to sell me JD chips. He just tore a bag open and said smell this. Then he started telling me that they were made from 25 year old whiskey barrels and him and his buddies read on google that you can tumble press and drain out the strongest whiskey there is and they do this quiet often.

#-o

Just like a shining ray from the heavens my wife came up and snagged me "honey, we've got to go now"

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    You do have a problem, you should seek help.

I, on the other hand, can stop any time I want to.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2013

henapple said:
    I'm down to 19 bags... Starting to get nervous. Do I have a problem?
    Nope, I got nervous when I was down to about 2,000 bags.  BTW, that's only the front row you see in the picture.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I've got 600lbs in my garage. You're good.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple

Don't hoard anything - too many military moves.  But I sure wish I could......I would go buy another bag.  20 is a good number

Funny you should say that... Found another bag in my other garage. Now I'm at 20.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @stlcharcoal, do you have a southern California distributor? Specifically somewhere near SD?

I have a huge problem getting good lump around here. I end up spending $30 a bag for BGE lump. Really cuts down on my cooking opportunities....

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Nope, no one out there.....yet.  Could be you!

Send me an email and we'll talk.  I'll call the guys and get a LTL freight quote to SD.  I guarantee it would be well under $30/bag shipped if you ordered a few pallets (and much better charcoal.)

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I' be curious about getting some shipped to zip 98072. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    ive never had more than 880 bags
    :D im down to just one bag at a time now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm living on the edge like my unfortunate fishing friend. I am rolling with maybe 12 or 13 lbs right now.
  • Current stock.  1 bag Cowboy, 1 bag Kroger, 4 bags RO and 2 bags WGWW.  Not too worried, local wally world keeps a decent stock of RO during the summer.  Will have to hoard up for winter though.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014