Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt next weekend

deenet
deenet Posts: 11
Next weekend, I am going to cook my first pork butt in my BGE. I do not have a plate setter so here is my plan.

Friday afternoon, I am going to coat the meet with mustard then some kind of pork rub then wrap in plastic wrap and stick in in the fridge. Friday night I am going to completely clean vacuum out the BGE, fill with lump and a few medium pieces of mesquite. I plan on lighting the fire at the top center and giving the BGE temp some time to stabilize to 225-250. I am going to set a drip-pan with about 1 inch of some kind of beer and place it in the center of the grate and place a fire brick on each side of the pan. On top of the bricks and drip pan, I am placing a smaller grate and finally the pork butt. I will be using a digital meat thermometer and I will check occasionally until it reaches 195-200. Once the temp range is reached, I will test with a meat probe to see if the meat is tender enough, and if so, I will remove the butt from the egg, wrap it in aluminium foil and place in a cooler for an hour or so. 

That's the plan for now. I live in the Fort Worth area. Does anybody have any recommendations on the type of mustard and rub to use? Any advice on any step of this process would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Yellow mustard (Frenches or similar) and whatever rub you like. I sometimes puts few different on it. Not sure about wrapping in plastic after the rub, doesn't seem to be the way to go to me. If I were to rub the night before I would leave on a plate and put a paper towel over it. I don't even put it in the fridge after that, nothing can happen with all that rub on it and I like to put butts on when room temperature. My number one rule is to not get to technical with it which it seems you are doing with everything above - but I certainly understand being your first one. Don't take the butt off until the probe slides in like warm butter. I use my thermopen.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2013
    I put my rub, then mustard, add more rub all when I start my fire. Sometimes a little before the fire but not the night before and not back in fridge. I do not use any liquid in the Egg. If you would like to know about Turbo (quick cook) just say.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Like @IrishDevl said, keep it simple.  Do you have a pizza stone?   That would work well for an indirect setup or I read where some are putting sand in a pan and using that instead.  If you go with the liquid make sure you keep adding to the pan as it will boil and evaporate quickly.  Several fire bricks laid flat on the lower grid would be another thought for an indirect setup.  On temp- my egg really likes 270-290 dome temp and will stay at this temp for very long periods of time.  Sometimes holding a low temp is more work than it is worth.  Good luck and have fun. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I think that you could simplify even further.  I have never noticed that mustard does anything for the flavor of a pork butt.  The rub will stick to the butt without it.  I also don't think that you need to put any beer in the drip pan.  Seems like a waste of beer!  Pork butts, in fact all foods, come out incredibly moist when cooked on an egg.  Your mileage may vary though.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• ptmurphy
    ptmurphy Posts: 42
    Same here - My egg holds nicely at about 280 to 290 dome temp, but the grate temp is usually about 260 to 270 (using Maverick probe).

Also, have you considered injecting the butt before the cook?  I do it basically with a mixture of apple juice, water, and salt.  It doesn't really change the flavor, it mostly distributes a bit of salt throughout the meat, which I think helps.
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116

To each his own of course, but i think mesquite is too strong for pork. I'd use hickory or a fruit wood.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    +1 on fruit wood. Love apple. Want to try peach.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I rub and wrap the night before. I use olive oil instead of mustard. I've tried both and like the OO better. As others has said, no need for liquid in the pan. It won't take long and the pan will be full of butt juice anyway. +1 on the hickory or fruitwood. Pecan is good too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It doesn't need to go in a cooler unless you are holding for later service. If time is not an issue , just tent it loosely with tin foil and rest until it's cool enough to pull. Bark will be better this way. Also, light the lump in three spots in a triangle pattern. There is a phenomenon where the lump can burn straight down and not spread out. For your drip pan, the liquid will evaporate pretty quick since it is direct. Better to fill a disposable pan with sand.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'll have to disagree with little steven. I think the foil time helps... But what do I know?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    I am not sure why you are without a platesetter, but I would go buy one if I were you.  Avoids having to rig a "workaround" when you want to cook indirectly.  If they are not available in Ft. Worth, they can be found in Dallas.  Jackson's. 

+1 on IrishDevl.  Cook by temperature, not time.  The temp probe should slide in like a hot knife in butter.  Look for a temp around 200 - 205. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • tazcrash
    An indirect method is essential to open up a host of cooking option, but before you buy a plate setter, think long and hard if you will want to expand cooking racks. Ever since I bought my AR, my plate setter sits unused. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    LBC Dawg said:

To each his own of course, but i think mesquite is too strong for pork. I'd use hickory or a fruit wood.

Agree here. You might want to try a more mild wood. Apple, peach or even pecan.
  • Little Steven
    henapple said:
    I'll have to disagree with little steven. I think the foil time helps... But what do I know?
    I am incensed! I don't foil spares either. It really comes down to preference in texture IMHO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Great information above, my first baby backs I used mesquite and it was way too strong I use mostly hickory or fruit woods in pork now. Also drink the beer it will just evaporate and the but will still be juicy and I never noticed any difference using mustard, my rub sticks fine I just rub lightly with olive oil before I put on the rub. I also don't foil as I like the crusty bark on the outside I find the foil softens the bark. Good luck.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • IrishDevl
    Forget plate setter. Either get a spyder and the stone or AR. I don't use my plate setter at all anymore after buying. Waste if money.
  • dlt
    dlt Posts: 14
    IrishDevl-let me know if you want to sell the platesetter-I'll buy!
  • IrishDevl
    dlt said:
    IrishDevl-let me know if you want to sell the platesetter-I'll buy!
    the day I sell it is the day my stone breaks, I just know it. 
  • Little Steven
    I broke a leg off a platesetter. Took the other two off with an angle grinder. Works awesome with the rig

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dlt
    dlt Posts: 14

You are a smart person! That would be MY "luck o' the Irish"!!

• deenet
    What is an "AR"??
  • IrishDevl

I broke a leg off a platesetter. Took the other two off with an angle grinder. Works awesome with the rig

You actually could have also gotten it replaced by warrantee. But a fine upstanding citizen like you would never do such a thing.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    deenet said:
    What is an "AR"??
    Adjustable Rig.  It is an alternative to a platesetter.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• tazcrash
    deenet said:
    What is an "AR"??
    check ceramic grill store. 

I'm with the devil. I have my platesetter, and my AR. I just don't want to jinx it. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    tazcrash said:

deenet said:

What is an "AR"??

I'm with the devil. I have my platesetter, and my AR. I just don't want to jinx it. 

Mine is a Cmmg ar-10. 308 lucid red dot
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tazcrash
    henapple said:
    deenet said:
    What is an "AR"??

Mine is a Cmmg ar-10. 308 lucid red dot
    Please don't try and cook that.  %-(
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    everything in your plan will work except the mesquite. in the egg mesquite can be incredibly strong, thats the only deal breaker in your plan, if you dont have any other choices for wood smoke then dont use any. i do use mesquite with pork butt on occasion  but the piece is about half the size of an icecube
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • deenet
    I will definitely use Apple or pecan to smoke. Regardless, I think I will use very little anyway. My wife does not like her BBQ too smokey, go figure.  Thanks for all the advice guys...
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Just make sure you don't pull too early.  That was my mistake the first time, it looked so good I pulled it prior to the IT being at least 190 so that it pulls easily.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    New to the BGE. On smoker pits and gassers, I would smoke the butt for about 5 to 6 hours at 235 to 250. After that, I'd wrap in HD foil and keep it going at the same temp until 200 to 205 internal meat temp. Can this foil step be skipped when using the BGE? The nice thing about the foil is that you capture the juices and put them back into the meat after you pull it.
    Dave - Austin, TX