Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Maiden Voyage... I'm smelling butts!

Options

NO!!  NOT LIKE THAT!!

I thought about what to do for my first XLcook and it's hard to beat a butt unless you cook two!

Here's some pix:

I started them at 225 and went to bed.  I thought about going turbo in the morning, but I wanted more time cooking with my new toy.  I had to boost the temp the next afternoon so that we could eat at a decent hour.

Here's the cooked pre-pulled results.  As soon as I pulled the pork, I was attacked by ravenous animals!  I didn't get any further pix because a feeding frenzy was on and the camera was too close to the pork!

Thanks for looking!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great!! What a great way to break in a new egg. Good job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Wow, everything is new! I always enjoy seeing break in cooks. Nice job on the butts!

FYI, it appears you have that cross bar on your nest in front when it is supposed to be across the back. Not sure it makes a difference structurally but moving it might spare your feet the pain of kicking it (especially since you Bedrock guys go barefoot) :))
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Yabba Dabba, way to break in the new Egg! Nice job Fred
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Cut those suckers open.  I wanna see the insides !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nice butts Fred!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Wow, everything is new! I always enjoy seeing break in cooks. Nice job on the butts!

FYI, it appears you have that cross bar on your nest in front when it is supposed to be across the back. Not sure it makes a difference structurally but moving it might spare your feet the pain of kicking it (especially since you Bedrock guys go barefoot) :))
    I bought the nest and handler the same time as the egg.  The nest came with a cross bar and so did the handler.  I installed both (rear & front) for extra stability.  Should I stub my toe, the front one is easy to remove.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Nice one Freddie. The butts look so tiny on there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

I bought the nest and handler the same time as the egg.  The nest came with a cross bar and so did the handler.  I installed both (rear & front) for extra stability.  Should I stub my toe, the front one is easy to remove.   

Ah, couldn't see the handler in your pic but that makes sense. I've been thinking about adding a handler to my XL. Looking forward to seeing you break in your new AR too.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Your butts look awesome! Nice job Freddie boy.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    ok, how wide is that spatula? looks perfect for the intended job of lifting Giant hunks o'meat
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Great looking butts there!!! Woot woot love the cook too!

XLBGE 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice Egg, Nice Cook gotta love a new toy.

Johns Creek, Georgia