Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rough Estimate and Flavors

erblove
erblove Posts: 97
I'm doing pulled pork for a good bye party of a co-worker who is leaving.

Feeding about 75 people. Any idea on the size I will need to get? 

Also, he love Hawaii...so I was thinking of doing it with a flare. Anyone ever used dizzy pig pineapple head on pork? Any ideas on injection or rubs? 

Thanks

Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
I love to eat...sue me!

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    What's up man!  Long time no see.  I did pork for around 30 and cooked 4 x 6 lbs butts.  Had about 3 lbs of cooked pork left after everyone ate (about a 50/50 mix of guys vs gals).  I will let you take that and figure how much you need.  I would say at least double.  Here is the post from my cook.

Not sure about Dizzy's pineapple but it sounds good.  Might do half the butts with that and half the butts with a regular rub?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    What's going on man...it's been a minute. Had a lot going on with work. Haven't posted much, but I haven't neglected the egg either. I'll have to do a catch up post soon. Thanks for the info. I welcome others. 
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#howmuchmeat

I think you basically divide the number of people by 2.4 to calculate the uncooked weight, so that is about 32 lbs of uncooked butts.  Note this is just a starting point and you need to factor in men vs women vs kids and all that stuff. 

I have seen a few post of Kalua Pork where people wrap the pork in a big banana leaf or ti leaf.  That might be too much trouble since you are feeding so many.  You could inject with something like this:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Depending on how much time you have before your party you could turbo a butt and experiment a little. Let your imagination run wild... A few drinks helps.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    Depending on how much time you have before your party you could turbo a butt and experiment a little. Let your imagination run wild... A few drinks helps.
    So does his namesake  ;)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I would just cook the pork the way you do best and accessorize it with different condiments and sides to add the flare. I was in Maui last spring and I thought the pork was ok, but I have had far better off the egg. Just whip up some of that bland purple paste. What's it called? Just my. 2 cents.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2013
    Here;s an easy call...use Kings Hawaiian rolls!

They have some recipes on their site that might give you some ideas.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I do a "Polynesian pork stew" with pineapple, tomatoes, Thai chili, garlic, ginger and soy sauce as the main flavor ingredients

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Look up kaluha pork, it can be transitioned from the oven to the egg super easy. Make sure the recipe you find has cabbage. Super good, their is a big Polynesian culture where I live and I've had several variations all are great
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

I do a "Polynesian pork stew" with pineapple, tomatoes, Thai chili, garlic, ginger and soy sauce as the main flavor ingredients

I'd love that recipe PMd to me or a thread made with it I could bookmark!
    Boom