Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI rust

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I have a... Err, a friend who has a set of mangrates that are rusted. How can I.. Uh, tell him to fix them?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Pee on them like Travis. Duh.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I think Rusted Mangrates are used in the Zapatec Indian harvest ritual of Oaxaca 
    =))
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I think Rusted Mangrates are used in the Zapatec Indian harvest ritual of Oaxaca 
    =))
    By Jove, I think you're right !!!!    [-O<

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Sandblasting:

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    The other way to keep them is not to let Travis "mark" them anymore.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You might try just letting them heat up on the egg (or in the oven) for a while, then hit them with a brush and wipe them down with a rag soaked with cooking oil. I've heard PAM also works.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    Those results mickey got are amazing

Mine for my large got really nasty once. I heated the egg up to blazzin, sprayed it with Pam and threw it in the coals for 20 min. It looked awful after that. Then I just seasoned it a couple times in a 500 degree egg indirect rubbed down with Pam and olive oil.

This isn't really directions, or recommendations, just what I did once. Now I try and oil it up and let it set in a 500+ degree egg while cooling down every so often.

But I just realized your talking about man grates X_X so don't know why I typed all that.

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Those results mickey got are amazing Mine for my large got really nasty once. I heated the egg up to blazzin, sprayed it with Pam and threw it in the coals for 20 min. It looked awful after that. Then I just seasoned it a couple times in a 500 degree egg indirect rubbed down with Pam and olive oil. This isn't really directions, or recommendations, just what I did once. Now I try and oil it up and let it set in a 500+ degree egg while cooling down every so often. But I just realized your talking about man grates X_X so don't know why I typed all that.
    Just a general tip...I always try to put the DFMT inside the egg after I finish cooking, and snuff it out with the ceramic cap.  It keeps the daisy wheel in pretty good shape. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    I guess I'm throwing them away. I just had them and thought I'd keep.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @smokeypitt

Thanks man. Yea man, That's what I do, but every couple times I spray it with Pam. Take it off, sit it on grate, shut dome and then put ceramic cap on.

XLBGE 
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    What are they made of?   Cash them in at a scrap yard.
  • SmokeyPitt
    henapple said:
    I guess I'm throwing them away. I just had them and thought I'd keep.
    Hey man...I'm certainly no CI expert, but I bet you can clean them up.  I left my CI griddle out in the rain for days and it was looking pretty bad. I just put it on a hot egg for 45 minutes or so and wiped it down with a veggie oil soaked rag and it came out looking good as new.  

• henapple
    And the rust?
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Not paying attention, CI grate, sandblasting will work best to get rid of the rust. 
  • henapple
    Not worth it...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    henapple said:
    And the rust?
    if its just a light rust its fine just to put a light oil on it to season,it wipes some off as well. rust is iron, iron is good for you. if its heavily flaking off thats another story. my cast iron rusts all the time, my heat abused stainless does too
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    If you are in the need for a project, and want to satisfy your inner mad scientist: 

Now if i can do this to chrome various things around the house. :D

Is it worth it for mangrates...... you decide.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mickey said:

Sandblasting:

imageimage
    Showoff...  :-h
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I had a hibachi for years with a CI grate.  Loved it.  Heat it up, clean the rust off with an onion - smells great!  Rub with an oil rag once you are done cooking .  No worries on the rust on sides and bottom, unless the mangrates are so manly they can cook on both sides at the same time.

PS - now I want a sandblaster.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited May 2013
    ^^^This^^^

Mangrates are the manliest things ever. 360 degree cooking!

Food does not stick to Mangrates. Mangrates holds onto the food until it is ready to let the food go.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Don't sweat it... they're mangrates after all. Brush off the loose flakes, spray with Pam or whatever sprayable oil stuff you have and cook on it. The rust is only oxidized iron - it won't kill you, and it may be good for anemia (if you're anemic, that is).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.