Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Busy Weekend

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

We had quite a busy weekend this past weekend.

Friday night we weren't planning anything. I was going to cook up some porco temperado parmesao (parmesan pork tenderloins) and hang out with Mrs. G. My brother and his GF stopped by to borrow my lawnmower, satyed for a drink and ended up staying for dinner. They had some groceries in the car, so we just made a meal out of it. Started with some linguica for an appetizer.

After that was done, I put on my brother's boneless skinless chicken breasts (not sure how he seasoned them) and the pork.

The ladies did their magic in the kitchen and we ended up with some sweet potato hash, sauteed mushrooms, orange scones (gluten free using almond flour) and some pao de queijio (Brazilian bread with parmesan cheese using tapioca starch, these were store bought)

Saturday, we had some friends come in from out of town. After picking them up from Love Field, we took them down to Maple and Motor (a burger joint that was featured on DDD). Totally worth blowing my diet and eating some bread and non-grass fed beef.  Everything in moderation, right? Then we took them to tour a little building in Arlington. You may have seen it on TV before.

If you ever plan on going and seeing a game there, I do NOT recommend taking the tour. After seeing Jerry's suite, the regular suites and the ground floor seats, I don't know that I could be happy sitting in the seats we can afford. :(

After the tour, we had dinner at Bob's Steak and Chop House (our favorite steak house if we go out, which is only 1 or 2 times a year) Totally finished wrecking my diet and my blood sugar showed it the next day. Oh well.

Sunday we headed down to the Farmer's Market and got some produce. Then we took our out of town friends and met some others at The Blue Goose for some Cinco de Drinko. Somehow after a few hours, we all ended up back at our house. The girls sent us home to light the Egg and they went to get meat. We told them to keep it simple (like fajitas) to go with the theme of the day. Now, I'm not sure if the store was really out of fajitas, or if Mrs. G had her mind set in picahna, but we ended up with this:

I kept it simple with coarse sea salt and fresh black pepper, can't seem to recall what temperature I had it at (500 maybe? Maybe hotter?) Never did get any finished pics, the booze had started getting in the way. While it was resting, I handed over the tongs and let my buddy grill up some squash

That was the last pic that got taken, but we had picahna, home made chimichurri, authentic Mexican rice, pao de queijo, fresh guacamole and probably some other stuff. My memory got a bit fuzzy. Kind of a weird Brazilian/Mexican themed dinner. Everybody had a great time and raved about the food. I had so much fun, after dropping off our guests at the airport Monday morning, I went back home and couched it for the majority of the day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Sounds like a great weekend, good friends and good food!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Great weekend, Griff. No shame in letting the diet slip from time to time. I am jealous of the Cowboy stadium tour. That would be cool. I met Jerry Jones in Charleston, SC one time. Dont recall why he was there, but I guess when you have a jet you can go wherever, whenever. 

At any rate, food looks great as always. I enjoy your photos too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    What a great weekend! The meat on swords post just won't end until I get some. I love it!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Griffin
    The guided tour was $25, and you got to see all kinds of seats and suite, the different bars that normal seat tickets won't get you into, the locker room (we didn't get to see the cheerleader locker room because they were filming the try outs for the reality show), we got to go on the field and some other cool things. It was the only thing the husband wanted to do while they were in town. Oh...and it is long. I think ours started at 1:30 and we left around 4:30. Talk about a lot of walking!

Rowlett, Texas

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice weekend, I hate it when the booze gets in the way of the camera!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    The cooks look great !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Looks like a winner weekend to me. 
    Oh, and I know how you can get start of the cook pics, but none plated. 
    ;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Nice cook Griff! I was very engaged until I saw cowgirls home field. It's a shame that such an awesome stadium is going to waste! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Its not going to waste @cazzy. Its getting plenty of use. They held a Super Bowl there, the NBA All star game, high school play off games, the Cotton Bowl, Baylor plays Texas Tech there every year (not to mention other teams), and concerts and other stuff. Our tour guide says they have X-Box hooked up to the big screen and they've had Madden Tournaments. That would be cool. Now if you mean just NFL games....yeah. I see your point. I hate being a fan these days, but I'm not going to go fair weather and become a Ravens fan or Saints fan. Gotta stick with your team no matter how much they piss ya off. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:
    Its not going to waste @cazzy. Its getting plenty of use. They held a Super Bowl there, the NBA All star game, high school play off games, the Cotton Bowl, Baylor plays Texas Tech there every year (not to mention other teams), and concerts and other stuff. Our tour guide says they have X-Box hooked up to the big screen and they've had Madden Tournaments. That would be cool. Now if you mean just NFL games....yeah. I see your point. I hate being a fan these days, but I'm not going to go fair weather and become a Ravens fan or Saints fan. Gotta stick with your team no matter how much they piss ya off. ;)
    I want to take the tour so I can get a picture on the star in my RG3 jersey. Tee hee!
  • Griffin
    I joked with my wife Friday night on whether or not it was too late to go and find one. I still remember when they put in RG3 for the first time back in Baylor to give the the QB a chance to rest. He did so well they didn't take him back out.  

Rowlett, Texas

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    I think the stadium is a work of art! The jumbotron is unbelievable! I've also heard about the Xbox which is way cool and knew about everything else going on there too.

I was talking about the Cowboys. Honestly, as long as Jerry is the GM, y'all will continue to struggle. He has so much pride though, so I don't think he will release the reins. What happened we he did, JJ built a solid team on both sides of the ball. It's sad that Jerry's jealousy for over Jimmy's attention and praise for what he built led to his dismissal. Everyone knows that the post jimmy chip was still his squad, but Jerry will always take credit for it.

As a Vikings fan, I love Jerry being the GM. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    I found some pics on my wife's FB account. That above was her and her best friend on the star. This was me and Mrs. G having a beer on Sunday.image

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You two are the Most Interesting Man in the World...