Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Lighting

Hello, fellow Eggers. I've been a long time lurker but hope to contribute something worthwhile in short order. I'm a long-term offset smoker cook who is learning to use my 1 year old Egg for short cooks. I'm hoping to get some feedback on what type of MAPP/propane torch to purchase for lighting. Pardon my moronic question, but do MAPP torches also burn propane? Which fuel would you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    I bought this kit from Home Depot and have been very happy with it:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I like the hose so I don't have to have the can in the pit and can keep it right side up.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I use a weed burner on a propane tank.
    Lynnwood WA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    With good lump, a tablespoon of vegetable oil on a folded up paper towel nestled in the center of the pit will get the thing lit.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I love my benzo map torch. Wish it was the one like cazzy with the hose, but I bought mine on clearance.

A torch of some kind has to be the quickest and most fun way to light an egg :)

I also have some welding safety glasses, and a pair of 3/4 length welding gloves that I put on while lighting. Sometimes sparks fly.

XLBGE 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    TEggSun said:
    Pardon my moronic question, but do MAPP torches also burn propane? Which fuel would you suggest? Thanks in advance.
    Not a bad question. 
    A MAPP torch will burn propane no problem (currently using green fatty camper propane tank in the torch above),  but a propane torch may not be able to handle the hotter burning MAPP gas. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Thanks for all of the ideas!  I think I have settled on the torch with the hose after all.  It seems it adds a bit of fun to the start of the cook.  :-)

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    @TEggsun, if you are on a wooden deck, please be careful. Those sparks sometimes are not itty bitty.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I love my benzo map torch. Wish it was the one like cazuzy with the hose, but I bought mine on clearance.

I also have some welding safety glasses, and a pair of 3/4 length welding gloves that I put on while lighting. Sometimes sparks fly.

You must look like Mr Roboto on the back deck.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I stay away from MAPP unless I really need it.....like sweating copper pipe that still has water in it.  MAPP burns sooooo much hotter that it's easy to do a lot of damage to anything (including yourself) with just brushing it with the flame.

I use the big weed burner on the propane tank.  It covers a lot larger area, and keeps me away further from the flame itself.  Yeah, I'm a big sissy, but after working in EMS for 10-yrs you learn from other's mistakes/stupidity.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    henapple said:
    You must look like Mr Roboto on the back deck.
    super secret spy pic: 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Agree with Teggsun, propane nozzle prob not good to use with map...different flame swirl / heat pattern.  Map flame looks like a "star" pattern, most heat away from tip. 
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I agree with tazcrash. you can burn propane with a mapp torch  but not the other way. You cannot burn mapp with a with a propane torch.  
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Easy: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I love my benzo map torch. Wish it was the one like cazzy with the hose, but I bought mine on clearance.

Please have SWMbo take pic of you in your "lighting gear"!.... =))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    I've heard with the High Que grate you can conceivably light with just newspaper under the firebox.  Is that true (just ordered mine, but more stop dealing with ash aggravation) or would a torch still be the best way to go?
    Pentwater, MI
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You can  do that with the standard grate too. I never liked it cause you are burning all the lump first.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I used a torch for a few years.  It went empty this last time about 3 months ago. 

I really like the 1/2 paper towel soaked in a bit of veggie oil.  I consider it easier and it hasn't failed yet.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

XLBGE 
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    This is the cats ass

LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    I settled on a rig similar to @cazzy's.  I used propane and found myself a bit bored, but it worked.  Time to try some MAP.  :-)

Thanks for the tips, everyone.  I'm egging on concrete far away from the house and any desirable vegetation.  All should work out well.