Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to build my table today: tips wanted

So going to build my table today. Probably follow what's on BGE site. And tips beyond what's listed there? Going to Lowes for lumber. Recommendations? What about stain or finish?
Boom

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Measure once, cut twice. Or something like that.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It will take forever but go through the lumber for 'straight " pieces. Good luck.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • You're gonna put a fair amount of money and time into it, and you're gonna have to look at it and use it for a long time too.

I suggest that you scan all the threads in the table forum first. It's gonna take a while, I know. I don't say that to be a wise guy, but there are a lot of ideas and lessons to be learned that will help you decide on a design and a good game plan.
    Gittin' there...
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Well.... I was kinda gonna say have fun and don't sweat it!

Measure TWICE and cut ONCE!

Sketch out plenty of plans and think ahead. I've been constantly adding on to mine.

One more thing, this is prolly just practice for the next one. I dunno, that's what I did with mine. It was under 200$, and when we move, I'll build a super duper home for my babies :)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Are you doing casters? I had to upgrade my casters today. I miss judged the weight and it wouldn't move. It does now!! Can move it with my pinkie.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    You gonna use pine? Pressure treated? That's about all lowes had. I did pressure treated. Let it dry and did an Olympic stain sealer combo. Then did some spar poly urathaine on top deck.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Just realized I'm coming in way late.

How'd it go?

XLBGE 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Do the bottom shelf first. I finished mine today. I framed the bottom shelf, got my brick in and finished the top so i could get the egg in and get my first cook done last weekend. A lot harder to do the bottom shelf once the top is on. DOH!
  • Well.... I was kinda gonna say have fun and don't sweat it! Measure TWICE and cut ONCE! Sketch out plenty of plans and think ahead. I've been constantly adding on to mine. One more thing, this is prolly just practice for the next one. I dunno, that's what I did with mine. It was under 200$, and when we move, I'll build a super duper home for my babies :)Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Are you doing casters? I had to upgrade my casters today. I miss judged the weight and it wouldn't move. It does now!! Can move it with my pinkie.

What kind of light is that? Where you get it from?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • MrCookingNurse
    @eggheadinflorida

It's a light I got from cabelas online. I had a gift card, it was clearance and I ended up with two for cheap.

It's this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0036A10HI/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367756019&sr=8-10&pi=SL75

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't have bought it if it was kinda free and cheap. It's just not that bright but it works for flipping something or checking a butt. When I'm loaded up with wings or more, it's not enough light.

XLBGE 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    One overlooked thing with building with wood is that you need to finish every side the same.  If you put three coats of poly on the top side of a piece, do the same with the bottom side.  If you sand down to 150 grit on the top side, do the same with the bottom. This will help prevent warping later on.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    If I could do over, I'd upgrade my wheels to the best and biggest ones I could find. In an effort to make it as portable as possible.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Thanks everyone. I got the table built yesterday. Due to weather had to stop. Only thing left is to cut hole, stain, then put on caster wheels.
    The wheels I got are good for 110lbs each and lock.
    For the legs I used 2 2x4 glued and screwed together.
    For the top hole how big should it be in diameter? This is for a large egg.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    I see where it says 21" most places. That just seems small.
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse

I see where it says 21" most places. That just seems small.

21 works. But you can always cut more, not add back as easy.

XLBGE 
  • spence
    spence Posts: 8
    Call CasterCity, I went to Home Depot and had to replace those casters as they could not handle the weight. The folks at CasterCity have spoken with a lot of us BGE table builders.
  • henapple
    I'm probably beating a dead horse but fire proof the wood before finishing. Is it pressure treated?
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    If you have one near you, Woodcraft also has some excellent castors.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple said:
    I'm probably beating a dead horse but fire proof the wood before finishing. Is it pressure treated?

Is there a product that you recommend for this when using pressure treated wood?
    Gittin' there...
  • henapple
    No but I would take the time to Google it. Most pt needs to dry for 2-3 months before staining. If you wait... Keep it clean until you do. I would go to sherwin Williams and talk to them... To a manager that knows his product.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I use sikkens srd on pressure treated. It is great stuff. It does need to dry first.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • FanOfFanboys
    henapple said:

It is not.
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    Any pics?

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited May 2013

Where I am now. Weather stopped me this weekend. Going to cut hole tomorrow night. 56" long. 31" tall. Wheels are 3 1/2" tall so once I put them on will be good height. Going to stain after work this week too. Ignore the scrap pieces on top.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Very simple and basic
    Going to add bottle opener and put a PVC pipe in back corner for a outdoor umbrella. So can cook in rain
    Boom
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Good looking build!  Try and get two solid coats of stain on and make sure it's good and dried before letting it get wet.  Use a sprayer if you have one....better coverage and cuts way down on the time.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Looks good for a one day project!
    Edina, MN

• MrCookingNurse
    Looking good man!

XLBGE 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Looks good be careful about leaving an umbrella up attached to the table in a wind.
    Lynnwood WA
  • henapple
    Fire proof the wood then. Call sherwin Williams. If they can't help you pm me.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Took about 4 hours to build. Did 1st coat of stain tonight. Will do at least one more.
    Saturday is day I christen it. Still want to put piece of stone on top for work area. Here is picture. The top is off so easier to stain. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Boom