Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top chimney damage

Just took my cover off the XL egg... First visit in a while. It seems the glazed finish under the ceramic top has chipped?? The egg is only 1 year old now.

Sort of pissed off. Is this covered Under some warranty??

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    I believe you could get a replacement dome, while this is merely cosmetic, I'd be upset too. It'd drive me nuts if it was visible while cooking.

Did you buy your egg new from a dealer?

XLBGE 
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Should not hurt anything. Consider it patina or a well earned battle scar. You could rub it with a black Sharpie is you don't like the light color. I certainly would not want to replace the top dome over a small ding like that.
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Just wondering how much would a new top or bottom be if you needed to replace. My XL is only about 3 weeks old but I have seen some pretty scary stuff on here.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

Ouch! I get it's frustrating...though, 99 percent of the time it will not be visible!

I had a small chip ..(about the size of a dime) flake off just like that many years ago on the side of the bottom body of the egg.

The Mothership sent me a small bottle of touch up paint...and it's worked fine all these years. I'm not sure anyone has ever noticed...and unless I'm cleaning it...I never do either. 

Any chance the chip of glazing is lying around somewhere...you could glue it right back on?

I feel/felt pour pain...but it will go away...one way or another..lol!!

Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

That new "Blingy" SS  Cap would cover that up nicely, (if you're so inclined).

Could be a reason to "trade up"!!

:-bd
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    It is ruined. It will never cook the same. You should probably wheel it to the curb right now. You live in Atlanta, right?
    All kidding aside, i would try for warranty. If not warranty then rest assured it will not effect anything-appears to be cosmetic, but YOU know it is there, and that would bother me too.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    It should be warranty as long as you didn't knowingly do the damage outside normal use. I would simply take a photo and take to your dealer. He should be able to forward the photo to his rep. And they should ship a new top to the dealer.if you chipped the area through careless acts, then that's another story. If you don't know exactly what happened I would definitely pursue the warranty.
  • Sayfore
    Sayfore Posts: 10
    There are 2 spots, this one on the exit and another on the side of the top.  

I know it will not effect the cooking, but for $1200, is should not happen just from sitting on my deck with the cover on??.  I will get with my dealer
  • Iceman5705
    Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    Sayfore, call the mothership. My XL had this problem and they replaced straight away.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Dude you are 3/8 of the way to a new egg

Steve 

Caledon, ON