Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WGWW - 2.5 lbs of dust

Options
Yea I weighed it.  It seemed pretty excessive.  First time I've ever bought this stuff.  Is this normal?

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    The WG I've used is pretty solid, but it all depends on how the lump was handled.

My label is usually green print...don't think that makes a difference though.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I think that's new packaging.  I've had a similar experience the last bag I burned.  Hopefully the four others in the garage are better! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Never had that and it's all I use.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    I have never had that either. Was the bag beat up when you bought it?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options

Looks like a "bottom of the pallet bag"!!

:-w
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options

2.5lbs is unsat for a bag of charcoal. But with that said WGWW is all I buy now. I have never seen so much dust even in cowboy... Where did you buy it? (I too have only see the green bags) I am particular about buying certain bags at the hardware store -- if its beat up I either keep looking or ask them to do a special order. One time I even refused to buy it after I saw how they were handling it. The kid did not understand why I cared -- said "geez Sir it's just charcoal."  I explained to him how fragile it was and how it makes a huge difference in cooking times. I compared it to a bag of cookies and he finally understood why it should be handled with care....

Has anyone heard if Ace is going to restock WGWW or is that a done deal? 

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Ace is going to start back restocking late June or July this summer. Talked to my local ace manager about the ordeal, I just used my LAST bag of WGWW tonight!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I just bought my first bag. I will report back. The closet place to purchase to me is 1 1/2 hrs away so it is not my go to.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options

damn -- it's good but not 1 1/2 hours away good!

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    Here in Northern VA my local dealer ran out last week.  I get it at a Mom & Pop so not sure it is an indicator
  • Mattman3969
    Options

damn -- it's good but not 1 1/2 hours away good!

I cover about a 3 hr radius of home for work so I was " passin thru".

analyze adapt overcome

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I bought this bag at my local pool store / BGE dealer.  The blue label has been all they've sold for a few months.  I actually brought this topic (blue label) up in another thread back then because the manager there was telling me he had never seen that label previously.    

And no the bag was not beaten up.  I chose the least wrinkled and damaged back like I usually do.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @YouEnjoyMyEgg - that was what they told me. Where are located?

analyze adapt overcome

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @YouEnjoyMyEgg - that was what they told me. Where are located?
    I'm in Marietta, GA.  Store is down the road in Hiram / Dallas (GA) area.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

never seen a blue label one. And that's all I have used as well.

I am thinking of exploring other southamerican lumps like fugo. About the same price.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    As other have said in have only ever used green label. The bucket to the right is representative of what is in my WGWW bags, what's left in your bag is not. The most I have had in a bag is about 1 lb. that being said 2.5 lbs seems to be par for the course with most other brands in have used. Hopefully just a bad bag.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    @YouEnjoyMyEgg - Shake it off buddy!  Sometimes you get a stinker bag of lump and other times you swear there's diamonds at the bottom of the bag.  If you get 2 or 3 stinkers in a row, that might be reason to make a brand changing decision, but every brand has their goods & bads.  Remember, this is brittle material packaged up and shipped to warehouses and re-shipped to retailers who pay stockboys $2 per hour to stock the shelf.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I'm in Marietta, GA.  Store is down the road in Hiram / Dallas (GA) area.
    Dude, I'm in Marietta near Dallas, PM me with the dealer if you don't want to post it.
    I'm guessing I know where on 92 but just want to make sure
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I've had one bag out of a dozen maybe end up like that. Ditto on the package color differences, but who knows. Third times a charm for me, if you're consistently getting that then I'd complain to your dealer.
    Dunedin, FL
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    I have a 25 dollar reward to Ace that just came in the mail.   Was hoping they still had WGWW but not yet so now I just wait for the "generic" brand made by the Egg people to go on sale....
    Large BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options

Regarding WGWW and packaging-I was talking to the owner of the store where I buy WGWW (and at the $1/# price-can't seem to get much of a deal) and they went with the new (blue) pacakging a few months ago as mentioned.  The bag consturction is clearly not as strong (saving $$??) so that may be a contributor.  Haven't seen that much yet, but will open another bag this week.  Time will tell. 

Go Baby, Go-Derby Day in the land of Kentucky Jelly (you had to be here for that thread

:) )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Owossoegger
    Owossoegger Posts: 88
    Options
    the bag i just used had a lot of dust and super small pieces.  it also had a couple of fist size ceramic pieces from something.  ever company is bound to have a bad batch once in a while.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

It happens to even the best.  With an all natural product being shipped a long distance and being handled by many people, it's hard to control the end product.

Good charcoal is brittle, you have to handle it like eggs.  It that one got mistreated, someone was going to end up with it.....unfortunately it was you this time.  I just had an entire pallet where the stitching machine must have messed up--every bag had a "leak".

Even if they're at the bottom of the pallet, there's enough surface area, that it really doesn't crush it.  Pallets will almost ALWAYS be double stacked which shouldn't be a problem.  But I've been in some places where they have been stacked 4 high....that's nearly 2500 lbs sitting on the bottom five bags which way too much.  (I really should do the math on the PSI and then do a hardness test on our charcoal.)

Don't throw away the fines and dust.  Pour them in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.  Use it to aerate your garden, or save them until fire season.  It's a good starter for getting campfires, wood stoves, etc going.

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone that's funny man.  I'm gonna be ok, I think.  :)  I haven't bought WGWW because Royal Oak is so much cheaper but I just decided to give it a try because it has such a good rep around here.  So I was surprised at the bottom of the bag.  We'll see if it happens next time.

@SmokinDawg82 - yea you know the place.  I'll PM you.  We must live really close.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I bought wicked good about a week ago at my local ace and it was the regular bag. Not gonna need lump for awhile I got 40 pounds of wicked good and then mid week a friend asked if I wanted to go to restaurant depot and they have the 17.6 pound royal oak nags for $8.99 so I bought another 100 pounds. Should be good till mid summer.