Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh no- pulled pork

Options
cbr0011
cbr0011 Posts: 93
I just realized that I got a boneless pork shoulder. Will that still make good pulled pork?

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Yes
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options

yes without a doubt!!  They/It will cook a bit faster... without the bone.

That said, you're cooking to a temp...not a time...so 195-200 is still what you're looking for.

You just may finish a few laps sooner!

Capice'?

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • cbr0011
    Options
    Got it. Thanks.

Their were two in the package. They are cut weird, I was thinking about putting them both in a foil roaster pan instead of directly on the grill, maybe some liquid in the pan. Thoughts?
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    I use butcher's twine to tie them into shape. It works great. No bark if sitting in liquid.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I use butcher's twine to tie them into shape. It works great. No bark if sitting in liquid.
    X2 on that.  Gotta have bark.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Agree...nothing wrong with boneless, but sometimes they fall apart.  A little twine helps them keep their shape. 

If you want to use a drip pan that is fine, but put it on the plate setter under the butts.  Butts have so much fat there will be plenty of moisture- no need to have them sitting in liquid.  If you want to add a little liquid to the pan that's fine; but also fine without it ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cbr0011
    Options
    Should I tie them together?
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    No. More bark the better.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited May 2013
    Options

One other thing you CAN do with boneless butts....?

"Unfold" them...season the insides as liberally as you wish (since you have access)... then fold them back up ...and tie! Then season the exteriors per usual!

Enjoy!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • cbr0011
    Options
    Thanks everyone, good stuff
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I do the boneless butt packs from Costco almost exclusively. I never tie them. I rub all surfaces then put them on the grid in the shape they were in the package. Sometimes a small piece will fall off... Cook's treat!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @Eggcelsior, do you put them on cut side up or down? Those I've gotten from Costco always have a cut side and a whole side, but I always season then tie. Seems like whole side down might hold together better (?).

For what it's worth I like bone in better, but I've gotten good results from both.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Black_Badger

The cut is almost like a flap over the "whole side" so I have that up, as you say. I like them much better than bone-in because there is more surface area. More surface + rub = more flavor/bark. All I've seen with bone-in is the ease of picking it up and a built-in doneness test. All preference though.