Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Steak Help

Ok, so earlier this week I asked for ideas for the weekend cooks. I couldn't decide so the wife requested steaks. Never done steaks before on the egg.

How do YOU do steaks? I know I can do sear then cook, cook then sear. crappy thing is I don't have a thermapen. (Can you purchase one in any store?)

What type of steaks should I do? I am thinking either flank steak or hanger steak, thoughts?

Thus ends my rambling for the morning.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I like ribeye's the best. I just throw them on direct standard grid height @ about 400-450 somewhere around 6-7 minutes a side. There's a lot of different ways to do steaks but to me simpler is better.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CigarSmokinEgger
    CigarSmokinEgger Posts: 213
    edited May 2013

Far from an expert but I love the reverse sear for steaks and until I see something better, I won't go back!

If you don't have a temp-probe then you'll have to go by feel.  I cook to desired temp over indirect setup.  When at temp, I remove the s/s grate and plate, the crank up the heat.  When ready, sear for 60-90 seconds on each side, better and cheaper than a restaurant steak :)

Forgot to add that I believe this method is best for thick cut steaks.  For hanger or flank I would think that a direct, higher temp cook would be best for a quick cook as to not toughen the cut of beef.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    You can buy a cheap temperature probe, not near as fast or accuate as a thermapen in any kitchen gear store, but it is nice to have as a backup to "your thermapen".  As said above, many ways to cook steak, but all the better ways require an internal temperature reading.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    i like the trex for thick steaks and hot tub for thin. with those flanks, 2 hours in a ziplock in the sink changing water as it warms . hard sear and rest. order a thermapen for thicker steaks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

The method I use I think came off the BGE site, but not sure.  At any rate....

Season steaks with salt/pepper or whatever your choice of seasoning is.  Get the Egg to 650-700*, sear one side, then the other for two minutes each.  Flip again and shut the Egg down and leave steaks on for three minutes for medium, four minutes if you like them a little more well done. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited May 2013
    That BGE method has been discussed on here before.  I'm pretty sure you don't want to ever have food on the EGG and completely close the vents up.  You're snuffing out a fire and that flavor will ruin your food.
    I'll try to find that thread for reference.  Maybe somebody else can chime in on this in the meantime.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I remember reading this, but just the variable of the steak's starting internal temperature could make the difference in a good steak or possibly being dry and over cooked.  We all know what 10 or 15 degrees can do to a finished steak.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    YEMTrey said:
    That BGE method has been discussed on here before.  I'm pretty sure you don't want to ever have food on the EGG and completely close the vents up.  You're snuffing out a fire and that flavor will ruin your food.
    I'll try to find that thread for reference.  Maybe somebody else can chime in on this in the meantime.
    Had not heard that before, 'course I'm new around here too.  I will say that I've used that method multiple times and the flavor has been fantastic each and every time, just my experience. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Never tried the BGE method, but I wouldn't think 3-4 minutes with egg shut down would ruin the food.  Now 10-15 minutes might be a different story.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Never tried the BGE method, but I wouldn't think 3-4 minutes with egg shut down would ruin the food.  Now 10-15 minutes might be a different story.

From what i recall, the methodology behind it is when you shut down the egg and the fire snuffs, the smoke is off or something. Your meat just sits there in this stale smoke and can impart some weird flavors into your meat.

I've never shut my egg down with meat on the grill, so I don't have any first hand experience. Just remember numerous threads about why not to do it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Fletch, I used to use this before I knew the benefit of having a instant read thermometer.

Works good too:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    ok, this maybe a bad analogy, but think about the smell of a candle that was just blown out. 
    The drippings are smoldering, not burning. bad smoke.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!