Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel

Options
I saw somewhere that people were using some sort of gasket to seal up the daisy wheel when its on top of the dome. Any help?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Some put left over gasket around the top of the green spout. I haven't seen the need. I did line the top of my ceramic lid.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    Options
    You certainly don't have to. Some do it to create a better "seal" with the dome. Especially if you have overzealous dome-openers and your Egg is on a hard surface. 

You can use Nomex or rutland remnants.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Agreed, put some leftover on the ceramic top to prevent nasty falls, but nothing on the CI Daisy wheel.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I applied a bead of silicone gasket seal on the lip of the vent on the dome covered it with plastic wrap and seated the daisy wheel. It helped some but the daisy wheel doesn't seal airtight but it's good enough for me. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    The DFMT aka Daisy Wheel is not designed for an air-tight fit-it's designed for controlling air flow during a cook.  The ceramic top is designed for no air flow to air starve the fire when finished with the cook.  Only reason to use any type gasket material is to keep the daisy wheel from launching itself when you open the dome.  Design is such you should not need that. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I put a strip of Nomex Gasket around the inside of my ceramic cap, now I can open the Egg without the top falling off
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Like the factory gasket material, i think the manufacturer would invest, for what it cost, the additional gasket around the neck of the egg.  When you claim to be the best, you shouldn't cut corners.  Just by the number of people on this forum that have busted their Daisy Wheel, this is a problem area.  Mine has only fallen off one time in three years - no harm done!  And i want a good seal on my egg no matter if it's the Daisy Wheel or the ceramic cap, any air leak is a problem to me.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I put some nomex gasket material inside the CI DFMT (daisy wheel) and the ceramic cap.  definitely fits tighter and neither has never fallen off.  I had extra material and the egg was relatively new so it was easy to do.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Like the factory gasket material, i think the manufacturer would invest, for what it cost, the additional gasket around the neck of the egg.  When you claim to be the best, you shouldn't cut corners.  Just by the number of people on this forum that have busted their Daisy Wheel, this is a problem area.  Mine has only fallen off one time in three years - no harm done!  And i want a good seal on my egg no matter if it's the Daisy Wheel or the ceramic cap, any air leak is a problem to me.

Charlie

It's a labour thing. They use the adhesive backed stuff cause it installs quick

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    It all boils down to "claiming" to build the BEST.  How much labor are we talking about to install a strip of insulation around the neck of the egg?  So charge me a few dollars more.  Make your customers happy!!  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sorry, Misread your comment. That's why they don't supply a better main gasket on the egg rims

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I'm happy. Buying me a 3rd soon. Gaskets are overrated.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @SmokinDAWG82 & @B&BKnox The extra gasket you added, are you putting/attaching it to the cap/daisy wheel or to the neck of the egg? Just curious. Any picture would help.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Options
    I noticed other komoda cookers have a felt around the top vent when looking for my choice.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options

i havent used my daisy wheel in a while. find it easier to control temp,only use it for low and slow,220 and under, but when i replace my gasket i will put some on both dw and cap

:-j
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am in Daffy's club. Never use on Mini or Large.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    Options
    @Mickey so you just have the top vent open without the daisy wheel?

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Response to BBQlearner, I put the gasket material on the DFMT and ceramic cap as close to the top of them as I can get.  So when they are seated on the egg the gasket material would be near the top of the egg opening.  I would send a pic but I am traveling and away from the egg.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Thanks @B&BKnox.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I put it inside the ceramic cap only not the Daisy wheel.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Mickey so you just have the top vent open without the daisy wheel?

Yep. You don't have to have it. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    My daisy wheel fell off when I'd open the lid cause it wasn't a tight seal so the mothership sent me a gasket to tighten the fit for around the top and I haven't had an issue at all....

If yours moves at all I would highly recommend getting one.
    Large BGE

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    please show picture of egg with gasket before you put on the DW
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited May 2013
    Options
    My DFMT (aka Daisy Wheel) flew off numerous times during my first month of ownership.  The last time this happened it hit solid ground and broke into 6 or 7 pieces.  The mother ship suggested I put gasket tape on the outside of the egg where the DFMT and ceramic top go.  I really could not fathom gasket tape on the outside of my egg so I did what they said not to do - I put gasket tape (Rutland) on the inside of the DFMT and the ceramic top.  Now they fit really snug and I am so much happier.  They feel like they should feel when you put them on.  I never feel like the top is going to go flying off.  Here's the DFMT after the alteration....

$-)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @YouEnjoyMyEgg : is that the same flat gasket used to replace the gasket on the egg? Do you know the part/catalog # for it? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    Thanks to YouEnjoyMyEgg I will be following your suggestion.

My DW has fallen off several times and only broke one of the handle pieces---so far.

Wish me luck.