Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Ideas, Ideas, Ideas please!

So living in the NW the spring can be great, ok, or horrible depending on the day/week/month/year. Well as we have it the forecast is for no rain for over a week and a high of 80 this weekend. So.... texted the wife this AM about me BBQing up some shtuff and she is all on board, now the question is what to do.... here is where you come into play. Toss out some ideas (don't want to spend my whole paycheck on dinner though ;). I wouldn't mind doing an overnighter, haven't done one in a long time and with the temps I can sleep outside on the patio next to the fire pit!

Here are some things about the family:

1. Wife is not a huge fan of pork (so no pork shoulder, ham, etc).
2. Can't do spicy due to kiddos.
3. Just did tri-tip two weeks ago.

:) Thanks!

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Lamb shoulder in a low and slow braise
    Mamaroneck
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Overnighter but not pork, really just leaves Brisket or perhaps pulled beef.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2013
    It's not an over-nighter (and you may eat a lot of it already) but how about cedar-plank salmon? Or, try your hand at paella.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited April 2013
    Sablefish en papillote

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    What about some giant beef ribs? Brisket would be another good choice for a long cook.

Paella or a Mexican feast like I did on Sunday was a fun cook that took a couple hours with making the tortillas, salsa, guacamole, and skirt steak.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    First notion to my mind is beef back ribs, not to be confused w. beef short ribs. The quality depends a lot on how they are cut.

Essentially they are the boney section of a rib roast. Often, they are available as the leftovers of trimming away rib eye steaks.  I've had them as cheap as .89/lb, but the finished ribs were kind of like gnawing on bone. If you find some, look closely at how much meat is really there.

Sometimes I find them cut thick, as "dino bones." About an inch of meat covers the bones. Usually close to $5/lb . In the top 3 of meats I like to eat.

But, why does your wife not like pork? Much of the pork for sale these days is "the other white meat." Not much flavor, and often "enhanced" w. a bunch of salty fluid. Have to agree that stuff is often not so wonderful. If you can find some good pork, she might change her mind.

And on that topic, what about some good sausages? Most sausages have a good bit of pork in them, a well made sausage will be every bit as juicy as a steak, and may have all sorts of wonderful spice and herb flavors mixed in. Browned over charcoal, sausage can be most wonderful.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Day 1 - Spatchcock chickens - done a couple ways for diff flavours

- marinate flank steak

Day 2 - Flank Steak

Day 3 - Fajitas - Grill the veggies/onions + use left over flank + chicken

Day 4 - BBQ Pizza - use rest of chicken

Day 5 - Seafood - Salmon + Shrimp Skewers

Day 6 - Salmon on Salad for lunch, Lamb chops for dinner

Day 7 - Brontosaurus Ribs

This way you've done a bunch of different things, kept it light so your wife doesn't think you are a meatetarian and gotten a weeks worth of food meals without breaking the bank

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    White pork stuffed loin. Spinach, shrooms, provolone and artichokes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Smoke a whole turkey! Might well be the best non-conventional things I've ever done on the egg. It's not just for Thanksgiving! 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DeaconKav
    DeaconKav Posts: 84
    My next new cook will be the chicken bombs
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    If you haven't done it yet, try the Pepper Ale Beef.  It takes about 7 hours from start to finish.  I cooked this this again this past weekend with the intent of having a couple of quick dinners during  the week.  I used the recipe below, but removed the seeds from the jalapenos (wife and daughter are not fans of jalapenos). 

Pepper Ale Beef
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Chicken breasts with lemon pepper or garlic and herb. Cooked 2 of each last night, direct, 400 until reached ~ 158 and pulled them off

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Kristy's stuffed and bacon wrapped chicken thighs.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    It's not an overniter but prime rib is mighty good on the egg.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    One of my favorites that does not seem too popular is the chuck eye steak. Pile as much rub on as you can and smoke it with hickory at 250 degrees. Depending on the thickness (thicker is better) plan on 1 hour plus. It is like a huge portion of the tender strap of a ribeye and costs much less. Can be hard to find in quantity thought. 1.5-2 in thick is best, although most are cut thinner. 

Serve with BBQ sauce on the side and a baked potato. Hard to beat.

Another option is chicken quarters. Let them air dry in the fridge for 1-2 days, rub down in olive oil, douse with rub, indirect at 350 until 190 degrees in the thigh, sauce until ~195-200 in the thigh, FTC for 30-60 minutes and you have some nice bird meat.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I am here ...  Sammamish.  Have you tried a pot roast on the egg?  Wonderful results!

Horrible timing for me as I have to work Friday night and most of the day Saturday.

Good thing I just bought one of those rain cap things for my egg!  LOL! 

Sounds like a good opportunity for pizza Sat. night...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Looks like the consensus is prime rib ;-) I'm just craving it now I guess
    Dunedin, FL