Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tongue?

cbr0011
cbr0011 Posts: 93
Question - has anyone ever smoked a beef tongue? Looking for ideas.

Comments

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Sounds like a mouthful.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I have one in the freezer. Let me know how you do it.

I know you smoke it and then cut off the outside layer. That's all I got.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35

We are new to smokin' so we have not smoked a tongue, but every 1/2 beef we buy, we always take the tongue, heart, liver and misc. parts that others usually do not want.  I have an awesome recipe for it and love it, but I will look back to see if you get ideas for it because we too have one in the freezer.  Sounds like a good idea!

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578

I haven't smoked one but my mom used to simmer them in thinned-down barbeque sauce for a couple of hours then peel it to serve.  Really tasty. 

I would think simmering in something like a Dutch Oven on the Egg would make it really good.

What is your recipe?

Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    There was a guy on here last year, his pic was him looking in his camera lense , I can't find the thread but he was requested by a friend to smoke one. He boiled it, peeled it an smoked it. Looked amazing!

XLBGE 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'm the one who started the first thread mentioned by MrCookingNurse. I've done a few more since then.

A few of the ones I've done in the mean time have been even larger, w. more of the "root" of the tongue included. Those I have cut into 3 sections. First in half, then split the back half into top and bottom. The bottom, or" root" usually has thicker veins of connective tissue, and some seams of fat. It reminds me some of portions of chuck roast. The upper portion, and tip have a much finer structure. The connective tissue is quite evenly distributed thru the muscle. The tip has the highest concentration of connective tissue, and I've yet to get any completely tender.

I think brining is a good starting point, primarily because it allows any excess fluid to seep out.

Then a period in a pressure cooker to break down the layer of tissue that holds the outer coating to the inner muscle. I haven't tried boiling, but suspect that several immersions into a rolling boil, each of a few minutes, would do the trick.

I suppose the tongue could be cooked w. the coating on, but with longitudinal slices thru it for better smoke and rub penetration.

Or, if you have patience and a very very sharp knife, just cut the coating away. Its about as tough as leather, and far more coarse, so it would not be a lot of fun.

I've marinaded the skinned pieces in more recent cooks. I've used a marinade that had a lot of oil. The residue of the marinade adds some fat to the surface, which is a plus for a piece of tissue that has not other fat.

I then just cook the meat lo-n-slo, raised, and indirect, removing each section as it reaches 195 - 200 internal. Oak for smoke, or hickory.

Both the rub flavors and the smoke will be quite strong. I prefer to chill the pieces, and slice very very thinly for sandwiches. The flavor will be as strong as some sausages, and the texture a bit like bologna. The presence of so much gelatinized connective tissue gives it and unusual mouth feel.

Did dice some up, and made chili w. it. Good tasting, but again, the large quantity of gel made the finished chili distinctly different from an ordinary ground beef base.

My main problem w. tongue at this point is that the price has really gone up. Used to be no more than ground beef. Now, above $4/lb.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I grew up on boiled tongue.  My brother and I used to fight over the tip (leanest part).  Pig tongues are better.  Can't help you on smoked tongue, but it sounds good.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious